Dolphins and a Cruise Ship

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Last weekend after spending some time at Viera, I headed over to Port Canaveral to get some pelican shots. While alongside the channel leading to the ocean you're able to see the cruise ships at a very close range as they head out to sea. I'd seen them before but never from this close.

There are 3 major cruise lines that depart within minutes of each other: Carnival's Fantasy, Disney's Wonder and Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Sea. They went out to sea in that order. As the 2nd one was sailing by, someone shouted "Dolphins". Here's what I saw:

There's 2 of them
    [​IMG]

Now three
    [​IMG]

Now you can see the ship in the shot and see how little distance is between them and the HUGE ship.
    [​IMG]

They are such incredible creatures to watch. I wonder what sense of enjoyment they get from outswimming the boats as they do? Anyway, it was a neat opportunity to watch some fascinating creatures.

Here's the back of the ship. Sometimes 300mm is just too long. ;)
    [​IMG]

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Cool shots, Kevin! It really is amazing to watch the dolphins ride the waves in front of ships like that! Guess they get a thrill out of the bit of surfing they can do.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,

You were mighty lucky to have caught this. Yes they love to ride waves. such happy mamals :>))

I just love dolphins.

Have seen them surf with the surfers at the Pier at the Cocoa Beach pier.

dolphins keep the sharks away. :>)))))

Wonderful images..

AND YOU DID NOT CALL ME...GRRRRRRRRRR

4. Hi Kevin,

Neat photos.

I'm not sure why dolphins seem to be strongly attracted to the bow wave of a ship. If you are on the bow of a ship looking down at them, they are swimming a lot to stay in the wave, so it is not a free ride or totally surfing.

We had a really unusual experience in Baja California (Sea of Cortez) in 1997. One night, the sea was quite bio-luminescent when disturbed. You could see a blue-green glow in the water, maybe 200 yards from the ship; suddenly the glow would change from a blob to a series of lines headed for the ship, like torpedos. You could see them turn as they neared the ship and then look down and see the animal itself on the bow. They would ride for a few hundred yards and then break off. In a period of maybe 10 minutes, we saw at least 4 or 5 DIFFERENT groups of dolphin do the same thing.

You had to be there to see it. I think it would be almost impossible to photograph since the glow was so dim. That was before digital...maybe a 1.4 lens and 6400 ISO??? We will have to go back again someday.

Bob & Nan

5. It was kind of funny because of the 3 cruise ships that came through the channel, only the Disney cruise ship had the dolphins swimming with it. Wonder how they managed to arrange it?

Thanks for looking!

6. Very cool I guess it is there way of body surfing, very nice shots, looks liek an incredible day you had there

7. You gotta love dolphins. Good captures Kevin.

8. One of those "isn't it nice that I have a camera with me" moments. Wonderful captured moments. From my side (i.e., computer); I would up the color saturation 15-20. But then, I have major issues concerning the quality of my images after posting them. I really need to work that out or else @#$&^%#@. Again, these captured moments are wonderful.

9. A perfect day. So relaxing and enjoyable. No one at Viera but me!!! Watching the cruise ships, watching the fisherman on the rocks, waiting for pelicans, and taking pics of each. Who could want for a better experience!?? Thanks for the kind words, Mike!

10. Thanks, Gordon! And yes, I do love to watch them. Incredible creatures!

11. Yeah, and they even turned out! ;)

You know, I don't usually monkey around with saturation. But, I took your advice and bumped it up to 20 and you're right, it does enhance the image. My initial reaction was "but it's not the color of Bahamas water there". Guess I just assumed bumping the saturation would turn it into the Caribbean. You know what happens when you assume..... Thanks for the tip!

And I do appreciate you taking time to comment.