Domke F-3X bag - considering...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe_Lorenzini, Apr 26, 2005.

1. I'm considering getting the Domke F-3X bag for day trips. Does anyone have this bag and if so, would a D2H/X fit comfortably in it (with lens attached).

http://www.adorama.com/DMF3XBAL.html

Thanks!

_/oe

2. Code:
    FROM Adorama Web Site: No space is wasted, because the inside and outside dimensions are nearly identical.
    http://www.adorama.com/DMF3XBAL.html

Joe that means NO PROTECTIVE COATING!!! :cry: :?
    Are you sure you want to put your D2 family in there!!!??? :shock: :(

3. Yeah, I really do. I'm sick of the bulky bags I have to carry around and to be honest, it would probably never leave my shoulder.

This is truely a "walking around" bag, not a travel bag.

I'm trying to find a shoulder bag that matches the way I work and this looks like a good candidate as long as the D2X will fit in it with a lens on.

_/oe

4. Well I'm on the other side Joe, I'm used to travel "heavy" for two reasons. First I can do that cause I myself weigh 100Kgs (~200pds) -tall not fat :? - and Second, I prefer the "better safe" from the "than sorry" part... Afterall, you mention "day trips" in your first post, but I guess a walk around bag trully never leaves your shoulder... well... :roll:

5. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

6. Never considered this Birger but will do so now! Thanks for the pic, this looks like it will work for me.

You're a good man to know.

_/oe

7. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    Depending on what lens you have on your camera. Before I got my 17-55, I had the kit lens on my D2H, and could fit a 80-200 on one of the inside pocket and a 85 f/1.8 and a 24-120 VR on the other. But had trouble pulling out my camera quickly, compared to other top load bags.

This bag doesn't offer too much protection, but if it's not leaving your shoulder and you don't swing it around too much, I don't see any problems as a walk around bag.

Good luck.

8. Er, I think the Domke bags come with padded compartments.

Or at least you can order them. I did - and use them in a Timbuktu bag.

And it isn't just because I don't want to draw attention to my stuff. I just prefer the bag.

I own about 8 other camera bags of various kinds. Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter 650 (used as a lens trunk), Lowe Pro Compu Trekker backpack (um, ditto), etc. etc.

9. Brian

Brian

Apr 30, 2005
    Toronto
    It's only padded on the bottom of the F-3X. I tried to fit the D2H with 17-55 on it, and a 80-200 in one of its inside pockets, there really isn't much room left for anything else in the main compartment.

Prime lenses fit nicely inside those Domke inserts, I find it a bit hard to get them out.

It's always so hard to find a *perfect* bag, the ones I have are either too small to carry what I want, or too big that I can't fill them with my limited gears.