1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Domke F2 or F4AF....or crumpler? want to fit 70-200

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by davidC, Aug 10, 2009.

1. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    I'm looking to carry 1 body, 70-200 f2.8, a midrange zoom, and flash.

i keep hearing a 70-200 won't fit in a F-2 vertically. is this true?
    but it will fit vertically in a F-4AF? mounted or unmounted onto a camera?
    I would like to be able to fit the lens hoods as well.

I want to use this bag as my walk around bag, so something light and comfortable with semi easy access would be nice. researching bags is a pain...my head is going in circles!

i'm deciding on crumpler's line up as well. 6million dollar home? 7?

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Granted the 70-200 is a bit longer than my 80-200 my lens fits just fine. Since the bag has a bit of play with the top flap I don't see why so many people continue this "the 70-200 doesn't fit in the F2" myth :wink:

3. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    well i placed an order for the f-4af
    hopefully it does the job
    i was trying to not end up with a million different bags like half of nikoncafe! :) 

4. garyosborne

garyosborne Guest

Come on 2 things:

-don't exagerate
    -don't try and stop the inevitable

i keep finding bags that i forgot i even bought

5. Friend of mine uses the F2. He can fit his canon 70-200 f4 L in with the hood reversed no problem.

I myself use the F3-X. Domke bags are so pretty. Unfortunately, their straps are super uncomfortable.

6. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia
    F2 is da bag.
    70-200 fits upright with 3 to 4 other lenses 2 bodies, a flash and all other accessories.
    as for the strap, if you dont like it, clip another one on from another bag with the padding.

7. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Funny I found them to be the exact opposite. I used a Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300 before and although it had a padded shoulder strap I found the simple Domke strap to be much more comfortable (maybe because it's wider and the cotton ages unlike nylon).

8. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    well i bought the USPS shoulder pad along with the bag so hopefully it helps with the comfort!

the F2 bag just looked a little big to carry around as a walk around

9. As Julien.
    I have several Domke bags and I like the straps, including when I lug a heavily loaded F-2 around shooting golf or when snowshoeing.
    I also use the Domke Gripper straps exclusively on my camera bodies - same concept.

Just a matter of personal preference.

10. User

User

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I too prefer canvas straps.

Though I think its a stretch to say nylon doesn't age. I definitely notice a break-in period with my nylon packs until they get a more supple feel. And over time they develop a nice faded color vs. looking new.

11. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    posting up for other people to see
    the 70-200 with hood doesn't fit in the smaller slots unless i remove some padding and even then it is tight.

the bag was also fatter than I thought.

i also didn't realize the USPS pad was angled. not sure which way to set it up since sometimes I carry it over the shoulder and sometimes bandolier style

12. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Was there supposed to be a photo attached ? :confused: 

13. My experience with Crumpler bags is that they are much bigger on the outside than on the inside. Very disappointing.

14. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    will get a photo posted later today.

15. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    David,
    I've tried many shoulder bags with the 70-200 in vertical position. So far, my best results were with the Domke J3 and the Crumpler 7million. Other bags may hold the lens, but those 2 hold it without a bulge. In neither bag can it be mounted. Unfortunately, any bag large enough to hold the 70-200 is going to be large and, with the lens, heavy. I've also tried other Domke bags because I like their general flexibility. The problem is that the Domke inserts are not large enough to hold an f2.8 zoom lens with hood mounted in the reverse position (eg. the F2 inserts). I'm in the camp of liking the regular strap and not the postal pad. I wound up getting the 70-300 and solved my problem.
    Mike

16. David -

For over-the-shoulder use, you should have the thickest part of the pad on the outside, with the thinner part nearest your neck - that helps to prevent slippage when the bag is really loaded down. Not an issue when used bandolier-style.

Eric

17. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    :smile:

18. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    I saw a set up on POTN where a fellow uses the FA-230(long 3) across the back of his F2 and rests his 70-200 attached across the front. Works pretty good he says.

19. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Here's a trick we use to carry the hoods on the F2 if you can't mount them : simply pass them through the removable strap. You'll see lots of pros using this method :wink:

20. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL

Thanks Julien. Sometimes the most obvious solutions are the ones you can't see. :smile::smile:

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.