1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

don zeck lens cap?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Allan, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Does anyone use a don zeck lens cap on a long lens? Any opinions appreciated.

Does you use it in place of the lens hood while in the field?

Don Zeck Lens Cap

2. Used to use 'em, years ago. They offer great protection
    but found them a PITA...not like they fit easily in a pocket.
    I leave all my hoods in shooting position now, no need for
    any lens caps. That way I can hit the ground running... :D 

3. Thanks - PITA means I would waste my money. When driving do you put the stock lens cap over the hood, use something like a hoodie, or do nothing?

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I have used the Aquatech Soft cap on my 500/f4 for years. LOVE it. It offers very good protection in the bag, back seat, or carrying. Fits very well yet easy to put on and take off. Has never fallen off. Highly recommended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Agree Karen, after your suggestion I bought one for my 500E, I like it very much.

6. I have a lens coat hoodie that I used on my 800. Karen, Darrell, anyone - can you compare the aqua tech one to the hoodie? I would like something easier to pull off than the lenscoat one.

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I use the LensCoat hoodie on my 14-24 and love it. But I wouldn't like it for a large lens. The soft cap fits on the inside rim of the lens and easily pulls off and fits back on using only one hand. Much better for big glass.

8. On the seat next to me, ready to rock...so "do nothing" works for me.
    50+ years of shooting and I've never harmed a front element, ever.

9. Though I do not shoot as often as you and the others in this thread, I'm a lazy minimalist at times, and I subscribe to the same philosophy as Will.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Me too. If it ain't broke don't break it ;) .

11. I use a lenscoat hoodie for my 500e

12. Thanks for the ideas.I think I will try the aquatech one - try it on at home - and return it if I don't like it.

13. I was thinking more about when I am traveling to and from home. i see plenty of people put away the lens and camera in a case or the bag they keep the lens in at home when they finish a shoot. I never do that; I just want something to keep out dust on the ride to and from a shoot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.