1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Done with Paypal...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill N, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Purchase a lens ($600) over on the other Nikon site. Lens arrived, wouldn't AF at lower zoom settings, some play in lens. Contacted seller and told him I would be returning lens. He stated not to return lens as he wanted to be sure it was same lens sent etc.?? I knew I was going to have to spend some time on this return.:frown:

As I used Paypal with credit card I wasn't too worried. As he was already making noise about return I filed a dispute with pp keeping all their time tables in mind.

Once dispute was filed he was very upset and after a couple of heated emails made a refund via pp. Cool.

While checking my pp account I see that the dispute was marked "Case close" "Case does not meet filing guidelines" before the seller even made refund. Well, that is nice, made me glad I always use credit card.

So, I have been using Paypal since 1999. They were a good company before Ebay bought them up. Pretty decent to work with. Now, if you DON'T use a credit card for a purchase it looks like you are really on your own. I did call my credit card company. Explained what was going on before refund was given and they basically said "no problem" in stopping payment to Paypal if I wanted. From the nice chat I had with cc people it sounded as though this is a rather common thing for them to do!

For now I am done with Paypal. No support from them when purchasing and on the other end way too easy to just stop payment once an item is purchased. I think I will just stick to purchases here on the Cafe and the well known online sites. Thanks for letting me rant a bit, it feels better!

2. i'm glad things worked out for you.

3. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Don't get me started on that company. I still use them because it's easy and faster than money orders, but I still don't like it.

Last fall my friend sent me some money on PayPal. He had sold something on his girlfriends Ebay account, owed me money, so as soon as he recieved payment he forwarded it to me. I then withdrew the money.

He was a little slow in shipping whatever item he sold, so the buyer, rather than contact PayPal, filed a dispute with his CC company. Ok, fair enough, even though PP speficily states to deal with them FIRST.

They flagged it as a "fraudulent transaction" because the money was transfered from account to account so quickly, and there was a buyer complaint. PayPal's answer? Refund the buyer (who does, by the way, have the item). Ok, still not unreasonable, but here is where it gets funky. They take the money out of MY account (my BANK account, actually!) to award the refund.

Yes, that's right, $200 out of MY account, even though I had nothing to do with it. No phone call, no E-mail, no warning, they just TOOK my money. What if I bounced a mortgage payment or something? They don't care.

Now I'm lucky enough that I happen to know the full story, but what if I didn't? That's right, if someone you deal with has any questionable transactions in their past, even a complete stranger, PayPal will TAKE YOUR MONEY if they even THINK you are involved. Not only that, but they will give you NO details about the case. All they would tell me is it was flagged as "possibly fraudulent". About 9 months later, they have been provided with all the proof of shipping etc, and I STILL have not recieved a refund.

Yep, that's what kind of company PayPal is!

All I can say is if you are going to use PayPal, do NOT attach a bank account, use a credit card ONLY and get a PayPal debit card to withdraw cash.

4. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Hint, for what's worth- I use credit card for purchases. The "default" card is one that is expired/replaced. When I make a purchase a new card is added and then removed after use. I just keep the old expired/replaced card on the account to keep pp happy.

The savings account I have tied to pp at my credit union is set up so that ONLY deposits are accepted from pp. I had to fill out some paper work but pp is NOT allowed to withdraw money from this account. ONE-WAY is the only way with this company.

5. I use PP only to buy from reputable companies (Jason O'dells book, AVG anti virus, several of my professional organizations,etc.) NEVER for "fly by nights" !

6. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Good thinking WNphoto!!!

7. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    It's NOT like THEY don't CHARGE YOU enough money everytime you use their GARBAGE service!!! :mad: 

8. Too bad Paypal is the only option thats convenient for most of us...

I too have fallen into the pits of hell called Paypal.

Glad to hear you resolved your problem.

9. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    Don't EVER give PayPal access to your checking account. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER and this is exactly why. Now you have no recourse. I only use virtual credit cards with very short termination dates and small maximums. No I don't trust them.

10. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    You know, this was a good reminder for me to check and update my information there. I previously had my checking account info there in order to transfer money INTO it from items I sold, but I don't think it's worth the risk the way these goobers work.

11. turtile

turtile

May 12, 2008
    Delaware
    I had another problem but different. On my family's account we sold something that was of more value than anything we previously sold so Paypal flagged the account for fraudulent activity. They froze the account which made it impossible to touch any of the money in Paypal. After three months of phone calls and emails, we finally got the account back. The buyer was even nice enough to call and email Paypal to tell them that he received the item (although it didn't seem to help).

I also know someone that got $600 out of his bank account. On my personal account, I only use my credit card.

12. Paypal....

I have never had an issue with Paypal, but then again, I have never had a bad transaction on eBay either.

I do have my eBay account tied to a checking account, but it is not my main checking account. It keeps a 10.00 balance at all times unless I buy something and then I transfer the money from my main checking account.

It just makes sense to protect yourself, on your end, whenever you can.

13. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I am now thinking about removing the checking account and going all credit card

14. Farley

Farley Guest

As already mentioned, consider a separate checking account for paypal. My bank offers free personal checking accounts. I keep minimal funds in the paypal linked account and transfer any paypal received funds immediately to the linked account and then into the primary account. Of course for some inexplicable reason it takes paypal several days to transfer INTO my checking account but they transfer OUT immediately.

I keep a 0 (zero) balance in my actual paypal account, having them draw directly from my special linked checking account for any purchases I make. If I plan to use paypal for a purchase I transfer the purchase price into the linked account.

I would never consider linking my primary checking account with any service that has the ability to withdraw funds.

15. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

I have been helped twice by Pay Pal. I have no problems with them, and I have over 100 eBay purchases with Pay Pal.

16. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    if paypal attempts to withdraw from a checking account with insufficient funds, does it automatically pull from your backup source (credit card) or do you get nailed with an overdraft fee?

17. sagar

sagar

Jun 29, 2008
    USA

You get nailed by overdraft fee. It happened to me once :biggrin:

18. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Angry here too. I sold a lens on ebay. It was going to Canada. Customs held it for two months before returning it because they couldn't find the address. I got nasty emails and a dispute from the buyer. She sent incredibly nasty feedback and it is still on my record. She took the payment back before even one week went by from paying for the lens. She said she wanted it for her "birthday." I'm like, ***? Like it's my fault it wasn't there by her b-day?! I can see why Craigslist is so popular now. I don't like ebay or Paypal anymore. I think it's ashame. It's sort of like Monster. Way too many people got involved and now there are just scam artists all over the place. I'm sure it will start on Craigslist eventually too. There's always got to be one fool who ruins it for everyone else.

19. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    that's also why I dont fool around with international selling or buying

bummer about the over draft fees, that would have been ideal

20. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    Years ago, when things were much safer than now, the only country I offered to sell to outside the USA was Canada. After a few eBay auctions I had to stop selling to Canada too because of so many cheaters and scammers. These eBay members are not generally representative of the Canadian people. However, their tricks were enough to restrict my sales to USA only. The most common problem I encountered was a Canadian eBayer who won a high value auction, then wanted me to declare the value as a low cost book so he could avoid the customs duty on the item. Theoretically, an American could end up with a federal prison sentence for engaging in such behavior.

Now for the news just in today...

"What's changing in PayPal's buyer protection and when?

To help eBay buyers shop with confidence, beginning in September 2008, PayPal will be expanding its buyer protection to cover the full purchase price and original shipping costs for all purchases on eBay.com paid with PayPal. There will no longer be a coverage limit."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.