1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Donner Pass, CA

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by seabee1999, Aug 4, 2009.

1. This past weekend, I went back to the Eastern Sierra with a former Cafe member, perhaps for the last time while I am stationed here in Nevada. Our original goal was to shoot the moon at Monitor Pass. Well because of some serious smoke, we drove to Donner Pass to try and get above the smoke level. Thankfully there was a passing storm so the smoke was not as bad. We started to shoot at dusk and here are some of the results from that evening. Enjoy.

God Bless,
    David

D1x and 24mm
    609330244_KAnGE-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D1x and 35-70mm
    609330208_34suK-L.jpg

D1x and 24mm (I like the color)
    609330217_PcVnM-L.jpg

D1x and 400mm (The Moon)
    609330185_iKetD-L.jpg

2. rubyred

rubyred

Aug 2, 2009
    Oregon
    they are all beautiful...love the day moon shot!

3. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    We have had alot of afternoon storms in the Sierra making for some awsome skies. I lime the maountain and the moon shot best.

4. Nice set. Like #2 best.

5. Thank you. For that shot, the light was fading very quickly. I am glad I was able to catch it in time.

Yes we have. The Fallon area gets skirted by each storm that passes. We can see some really cool cloud formations out this way. Thanks for looking.

Thanks Alex. It is one of my favorites as well.

God Bless,
    David

6. The moon is fantastic.

7. WOW!! The clouds on the first one and that of the the moon are really awesome!
    400mm? Oh I need such a tele....
    Nicely done, David!:wink:

Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon :smile:glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

8. Nacho

Nacho

Dec 29, 2007
    Salem, Oregon
    David, more neat shots up there! I really like #2 and #4. That peak looks very cool, and the moon is always captivating, but this one has nice detail and a grab-you feel. Thanks for posting these.

Best,

N

9. Thank you Rich. At first I was a hair disappointed that I would not see the moon clearly through the smoke. Thankfully the winds were on our side and we had a fairly clear night

Thanks Rui. The clouds were fun to shoot that night. 400mm is a fun focal length to shoot with as well. You should get one sometime.

Thank you Nacho. I am glad you like them. I was hoping that the moon shot would be on where you could reach out and grab it. As for the mountain, I am thankful I could catch the light just in time.

God Bless,
    David

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.