Don't landscape just yet (New Pics of Mom)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HickoryShampoo, Apr 6, 2007.

1. We're building a new home (just about done) and we'd asked the builder to even-out the back yard. That included getting rid of a pile of dried concrete where the foundation crew did a wash-out in the middle of the yard. I noted a killdeer skittering around as I positioned myself for a wide angle shot of the back of the house. She started acting as though she were injured and I knew then I had to be careful where I stepped. In the middle of our little pile of concrete...

nest.

Needless to say, we asked the construction supervisor to hold off on cleaning up the back yard for a few weeks to give Mom a chance to hatch 'em.

This was about six inches away with the 10-20mm at 20mm. When I go out in the coming days, I'll pack some longer glass for momma. :smile:

UPDATE: Went back out today with the big gun (70-200mm VR + TC-17E II). This time, Mom....erm....Dad?....whomever held his or her ground. This time, there were two. A second killdeer showed up a few minutes later leading me to believe it was a mated pair taking turns minding the huevos.

"Oh crud. You can't see me. Can you?"
    killdeer_5.

"Dangit. He saw me."
    killdeer_4.

"Whoa! How close are you gonna get?!?"
    killdeer_2.

"OK, buddy. That's close enough. You're asking for it...."
    killdeer_1.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2007
  2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Good shot Matt....I captured some pictures of 4 eggs almost just like this recently from a Killdeer nest here in north Atlanta recently. I am wondering if they have hatched yet...

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ohhhhh great find, just in time.
    How wonderful to be able to watch and record the family
    Thanks for sharing.
    Excellent image.

Can't wait for the follow ups:)))

4. Added a few new shots above.

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Good story and images. I found a pair last week where I work but before I could get any images a crow took a liking to the eggs.:frown:

6. A little close there, Matt in those last two. Don't want to stress the parents - they're already living in the middle of a construction zone! :eek:
    Will be interesting to see shots of the little fluff balls in a few weeks. Hopefully you don't have too many raccoons in your neighbourhood.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent
    Keep the story going:>))

8. I was farther away than it looks. I shot those at the equivalent of 340mm and did a pretty severe crop. The last thing I want to do is scare them off.
    I feel like an expectant father. :biggrin: