Don't you hate

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Kurt, Aug 28, 2008.

Is there a worse time?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2008.
  1. No, waiting for delivery is the worst

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Yes, of course there are worse times

29 vote(s)
    63.0%
  1. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    The time between ordering the lens and when it arrives at the door.

Is there a worst time period?

2. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I bit the bullet and ordered overnight shipping ( I needed it for a shoot ) but that cured most of the wait time!

3. It's horrible. The only thing I could think of which was worse, was the day of prep-work before a colonoscopy. :eek:

4. Getting your new camera package and waiting for the battery to charge is also pretty tough. I fell your pain .......hang in there. When I bought my D200 the shop I dealt with delayed my shipment as a first time customer. They needed a few days to confirm my credit card and shipping address.:confused: After 8 business days I phoned and asked if they had shipped yet. They said no but they would definetly call me tomorrow. That call never came and I had lost all confidence in them so I phoned the manager and cancelled my order. Went to a different vendor and ordered a D200 that shipped that day. Half an hour after I ordered from the second shop the manager from shop one calls and says hey we did ship your camera a couple of days ago. Great!! two D200's in the mail. Good times!! The first shop took their camera back but it was stressfull............

Cheers

Ted:smile:

5. powaq

powaq

May 2, 2008
    Belgium
    That's why I never order lenses (or other gear). I go out to the shop and buy them. I never order it in the shop if they don't have the lens in stock. I just wait a while untill they have some stock and go back. :biggrin:

6. gd1418

gd1418

Feb 3, 2008
    Gurgaon, India
    Ted,

Only after you cancelled your order with the first one, they sprung into action and called back. Vendors all over the world are of the same breed. You twist the arm and they fall in line.

I've my trusted supplier from whom I get my equipment. I call him up and find out if he has in stock the stuff I need. Only when he confirms then I land up at his place..:smile:

7. LOL...a fleeting thought!! Good one, Mike. :biggrin:

8. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    :eek::frown:

9. ajbooker

ajbooker

Mar 17, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Either waiting for the lens to be in stock, or waiting for a load fixture to get back from the machine shop after it was dropped onto the concrete floor a few days ago so I can actually do some testing. :frown: Those are a bit worse.

On the upside, if I choose the slowest shipping and don't pay attention to my emails telling me something is coming, it's a nice big surprise!

10. The advanage of living on an island (the UK!) is that in most situations delivery is always next day so the wait is rarely a long one. But then we pay so much more for everything we should get some advantages!! haha

11. barnclos

barnclos Guest

Paying is the worst.
    Next is the process of estimating a price which won't sound so ridiculously low the the Financial Controller starts investigating, but isn't so high that it initiates a veto.

12. adol290

adol290

Apr 15, 2007
    Manitoba, Canada
    My biggest worry is that the company delivering the item decides to leave it on the front step for all to see.

This has happened....

13. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY

So true.

The salesman said "What card do you want to damage" I replied with what I thought a good line "None..but use this one"

He said "I asked a guy that yesterday and he said 'yours'" That was the good response.

14. Hi.

Apart from the "real" problems (like health issues and stuff like that), waiting time is the hardest.

No matter what you are waiting for: your girlfriend to return from a business trip, the lens you dreamt of for a long time or just the pizza ordered 45 minutes ago ... :)

Regards

Mattes

15. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Tracking says "On truck for delivery, Signature required" so I guess I need to leave work sick today.

16. No.

I think the worse is having an incredible lens you know and trust, it breaks down and you have to wait for the repair with no guarantee it will be as good as before. Had that with my 85 1.4 a few years back, thankfully it came back as good as before damage. but it was a sad 6 weeks.

shing

17. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I always get my stuff from Allen's. I can touch it and feel it before I buy. I can even change my mind and get something else like I did today. Although times when I have bought from Cafe Members, I do enjoy following the tracking numbers for delivery. UPS will drop at the door but Fed-EX always wants a signature and I have to pick it up at their warehouse.
    Pete

18. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Must be nice to have a shop that actually stocks things

19. KG72

KG72 Guest

There is of course worse things... but waiting really chaps me.

The Beast you sold me still hasn't arrived, Kurt :Curved:

20. Hmmm . . . maybe the clock ticking down until the CFO sees the next month's credit card bill? lol.

Still, in the spirit of your post, the worst is when the item is shown as "out for delivery", knowing that noone in your family is at home . . .

Eric