Doom Castle, untinted version added.

Real black and white:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Original version with blue tint is history.

Last edited by a moderator:
am I the only one who thinks its too blue?

I love the subject and composition of the shot - just not the conversion process

sorry :)
I don't know if you are the only one, but I don't think it's too blue. I like the atmosphere it gives it and it gives it an IR look which I like.

Great shot. Where is this observatory?
The location is at Jungfrau, a mountain near Interlaken, Switzerland. Altitude is around 4000 meters. You get there by an insanely expensive cog railway, $170. At the top its very cold, windy and icy. Its a major tourist attraction and part of my motivation was to make a frequently photographed landmark look a bit different.

The idea behind the blue, and apparently it is not everyone's idea of perfect, was to make the shot look more like night. It was taken at high noon in the brightest light imaginable. Perhaps the moral of the story is just because it is easy to do something in digital, it might not make sense.

I am going to take another look at it. If I decide to change it, there may be a momentary outage, so to speak.

Anyway, thanks for making me think about the tone issue.

I hate to see the blue tint one go. It was very dramatic and a photo worth remembering in my opinion...your B&W version, while still absolutely excellent...just looks like another great B&W...nothing unique as the blue version was. In the end it's up to you though as it's your photo with your name on it.

LOL. I guess some of you guys are going to have to download and tint it on your own. One of the things I noticed about this image in the blue version was that the snow on the right side was too white. This caused a corruption of the frame when shown on a white background as is the case at flickr. The forum software avoids this problem. In the black version brightness was selectively reduced to address this.

The black version got a much better reception on flickr after being posted in the same groups. While flickr is not the ultimate arbiter of photographic quality, I have a feeling that some of the B&W audience found the blue tint to be a bit unfamiliar. What they are used to seeing is "real" B&W or a light sepia tint.

Glenn,

Thanks for the compliment.

Everyone, thank you for your interest and forcing me to think about the tint.

Ron

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom