1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Doom Castle, untinted version added.

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Ron Scubadiver, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Real black and white:

3813414026_d81e6f742c_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Original version with blue tint is history.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
  2. I love the drama, Ron. It looks like the home of a mad scientist... or a crazed photographer - lol!

3. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    great composition and toning Ron, very nice.

4. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    That's awesome....love the composition and colors (or lack of).

5. tboz

tboz

Aug 4, 2009
    mass
    Quite a wonderful image Ron!

6. am I the only one who thinks its too blue?

I love the subject and composition of the shot - just not the conversion process

sorry :) 

7. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I don't know if you are the only one, but I don't think it's too blue. I like the atmosphere it gives it and it gives it an IR look which I like.

8. User

User

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Great shot. Where is this observatory?

9. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    I like the blue cast. It gives it a chillier feel! Excellent shot Ron!

10. Yes, a bit too blue. b/w would have been more dramatic.

11. The location is at Jungfrau, a mountain near Interlaken, Switzerland. Altitude is around 4000 meters. You get there by an insanely expensive cog railway, $170. At the top its very cold, windy and icy. Its a major tourist attraction and part of my motivation was to make a frequently photographed landmark look a bit different.

The idea behind the blue, and apparently it is not everyone's idea of perfect, was to make the shot look more like night. It was taken at high noon in the brightest light imaginable. Perhaps the moral of the story is just because it is easy to do something in digital, it might not make sense.

I am going to take another look at it. If I decide to change it, there may be a momentary outage, so to speak.

Anyway, thanks for making me think about the tone issue.

12. Sometimes the only way to find out is to try it. Fora limited time only this will be available wih and without tint. The winner stays, the loser goes.

13. kanzlr

kanzlr

Jun 18, 2007
    Vienna/AT
    the blue version is much nicer than the bw one.
    it adds to the feeling of "cold".

14. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Love them both Ron but i agree with Bernhard about the Blue! I Like the Chill Factor!

15. Excellent! I like the B&W - makes it look more desolate and isolated and evil :) 

16. The black and white one wins this round. The blue one has gone to the land of lost pixels.

17. Great shot! The composition and B&W conversion are excellent.

Glenn

18. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I hate to see the blue tint one go. It was very dramatic and a photo worth remembering in my opinion...your B&W version, while still absolutely excellent...just looks like another great B&W...nothing unique as the blue version was. In the end it's up to you though as it's your photo with your name on it.

19. tboz

tboz

Aug 4, 2009
    mass
    Not so fast! I prefer the Blue!

20. LOL. I guess some of you guys are going to have to download and tint it on your own. One of the things I noticed about this image in the blue version was that the snow on the right side was too white. This caused a corruption of the frame when shown on a white background as is the case at flickr. The forum software avoids this problem. In the black version brightness was selectively reduced to address this.

The black version got a much better reception on flickr after being posted in the same groups. While flickr is not the ultimate arbiter of photographic quality, I have a feeling that some of the B&W audience found the blue tint to be a bit unfamiliar. What they are used to seeing is "real" B&W or a light sepia tint.

Glenn,

Thanks for the compliment.

Everyone, thank you for your interest and forcing me to think about the tint.

Ron

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.