1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Doors and Corridors sampler

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, May 16, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I turned in my semester long project, Doors and Corridors. I think the mission was to develop a large project under a deadline. It's got nearly 200 images - slides - two projectors and an opto/mechanical system that displays them in rapid succession on the inside of a large, translucent, dome shaped, rear projection screen. The synchronized slide show meanders through abstract hallways that connect the events, places and people of life in non-chronological order.

Here is a sampler of 9 images from the slide show, assembled to paraphrase the overall display, but without the flashing lights.

[imgn]https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/images/icons/icon16.gif[/imgn] There is some nudity, so please view appropriately: [imgn]https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/images/icons/icon16.gif[/imgn]
    Please critique this work, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I've posted more than half of these previously. Thanks!

Ya think I put enough icons on this post though? :Crunk:

4. Wow Chris! Viewing these makes me wish I could see the project as you presented it. I was really engaged viewing the photos. I just get really hooked viewing images that represent someone else's view and presentation that is so opposite to my own.:smile:

5. don't those icons send off alarms somewhere in alarm-central?:biggrin:

i'll have to look at these discretely...:smile:

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Ray! I'll shoot the box when I get it back.

Yeah, you noticed the mods were the first ones here! :Unsure::BigGrin::Crunk:

Not how discrete you'll need to be, the nudity is not prurient or anything, more like abstract.

7. Fascinating series Chris. Very creative and thought provoking. The "Ego is a complicated thing" image really struck me (go figure)
    Good work Sir!

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Dave! I was tossed up about including that particular image. But when I put this set together, it was necessary!

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

would love to see this projected on the domed screen. How large a structure is that?

10. Interesting choice of images - the ones that struck me first were the top left, right and bottom right corners. The impression I had was one of dislocation - of knowing what I was looking at, but not from what angle or which way up.

Looking at the rest of the set, I get that feeling of uncertainty still but for different reasons - the water in the top middle shot distorts the image one might expect to see. The oddity of middle middle (I assume it's a representation of another artwork?) although it seems a fairly straightforward shot, the work itself has the quality the other pictures have, of a somewhat distorted perception. The blur of middle right and the sheer incongruity of the skeleton in a window all seem to me to "fit" within the whole.

The only ones I'm not sure of are middle left and middle bottom, which feel a bit like odd ones out in this particular set to me, in that they don't produce the same uncertainty as the other 7.

11. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    That's some interesting work Chris. The first and last images are my favorites.

Chris

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Mike. Think R2D2 in beige.

Wow! Thanks for the analysis John. The feeling of disorientation is certainly intended. I'm gonna have to think about what you have said. I am of the school that believes the photographers idea about what an image or set of images is about is not the ultimate word on it. It's the viewers who can see through the haze of familiarity.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Chris! And those two are connected as well!

14. 2 and 5 are my favs!

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks! And there is a reason they are above and below each other.

Isn't 4 more about reality though?

ps, 2 is the only digital image in this set. It's made with the modified D70 that Ed made, then gave to me. I love that camera. It hasn't disappointed me yet with it's way of transcribing what I see. Both Ralph Gibson and Jen L. dissed it (the camera, she loved the print.) It's much more detailed as a digital photograph, ([imgn]https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/images/icons/icon16.gif[/imgn]) rather than this scan of a slide made from re-photgraphing an ink-jet print.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  16. It's just one take on it - I suspect other people might get that from the fact that head/hands/legs are cropped out of mid left, and from the apparent decay of the area shown in bottom left.

For me it's much stronger in the other pics though, a feeling of knowing what you're seeing but not understanding it, yet feeling that you should :confused:  I might very well be talking out of my hat too :) 

My personal view is that there's no hard line there - where I've had a very definite outcome in my head, and achieved it in the final image, I tend not to go back to it. Where I've been less sure, or the critique points out something I'd not seen, I go back to it.

I hope you'll share your final choices on this with us - it's been a privilege watching this work grow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.