Dorset Coast

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by BrianDW, Jun 15, 2017.

1. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Dorset coast yesterday. On the left is Clavell Tower overlooking Kimmeridge Bay. D800E with Nik 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII at 135mm and f/6.3

20241resize.

2. Beautiful countryside.

Cheers

3. Stunning seaside. Have you tried a haze filter??

4. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Thank you Alan and Jim. Yes, haze is my enemy always in summer landscapes. I'm not familiar with a 'haze filter'. I guess it is a software tool made up of contrast and sharpening? Almost all my PP is done in Capture NX-D, with image stitching in Elements 9.
    Can you explain?

5. I was just about to post dehaze

6. Hi Brian

I processed your great photo thru the haze filter on Photoshop 14.

[​IMG]

7. Not bad for a screen jpg
    Crazy good sometimes on a raw. I shoot the smoky mountains a lot and I use it often

8. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Mmm. That does look significantly clearer. Seems to work by increasing contrast only in the low contrast areas (furthest away in this case). Possibly just a little too contrasty for my taste.

9. Haze is a matter of taste. There are times when the haze is what makes the shot, and sometimes you feel like it gets in the way. I like the original, but like Jim I too experimented with Affinity's Haze filter, it has a distance control. But in the end I decided your version made the place seem special.

10. Wonderful scene and photograph! The haze fits in well.

11. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Thanks for your feedback, Nick and merlin.