Double Exposure. What the ?!@#$%^&*

About the fourth picture out of my new D2X was this double exposure. Do you have any idea how this could have happened? I had no idea that a double exposure could happen in a DSLR.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Gaye

19718432-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Gaye,

Looks like a flare back from reflection to me.

Not sure though.

A D2x..hummmm You go girl. Not something I will ever have.

D100 is the limit, I guess for me.

Dave,

I was using the 17-55 with the hood attached. Can't figure it out because that's a darn good lens and a darn good camera.

Thanks,
Gaye

Gaye
I do not own a D2X but I thought multiple exposures was a option on this camera. You can create a single image from ten exposures.

Gaye,

I may be dreaming, but I thought that the D2X had a setting where you could take multiple exposures.

Frank

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
I would not think that ghosting would occur on that combo. This may be stupid, (but thatnks to the group here i wont likely get slammed) but do you have multiple exposure enabled in csm menu?

If you weren't shooting thru glass (no lens pun intended), then this looks like a mult exposure. On my Fuji S3, it has this feature and is on the left side top, dial for Single/Continuous/Timed/Multiple. Mine needs a small button to be held down to change it, not sure about yours. The Fuji S3 body is a Nikon so it probably has a layout similar to yours. You think you cd have changed this setting my mistake? That overlaid image looks far too clear to be ghosting.

I had a double exposure on one of my first shots. It wasn't ghosting. A real double exposure. Don't know why it happened and I didn't do anything different to settings to cause it.

It's definitely a double exposure and I haven't had it happen since. That house in the corner of this picture is about 50 feet back from where I shot the second picture from the bank of the lake. Interesting that a double exposure could happen with a digital sensor but I guess maybe something stuck inside perhaps with the flashcard...who knows...

Many thanks and I'll report back if this happens again ...then I'll also send the camera back..

Gaye

Going to check out the mulitple exposure option now.. that would be interesting to be able to do that if we wanted to do it.

Double exposure

Gaye,

Double exposure is an option on the D2X. It actually works quite well. Check your manual then your custom settings to be sure it isn't enabled.

Tom

Just wondered if you were shooting through your car window that might have given you that reflection? If it were a double exposure you would have had to turn around and shoot the house behind you. Did you do that?? I can't picture how this could have happened with out it being a reflection, especially since you said the house was behind you.

Tom,

I just found in my 'Recent Setting' that I had changed the 'Multiple Exposure' to ON.... I just now put it to OFF... I guess that's what caused the problem.

Thanks much!

Gaye

GeeJay said:
Tom,

I just found in my 'Recent Setting' that I had changed the 'Multiple Exposure' to ON.... I just now put it to OFF... I guess that's what caused the problem.

Thanks much!

Gaye

I'm glad you found it Gaye, I wish I had that feature. I used to use my double exposure capability on my Nikon F3 body quite a bit. I have placed many a moon in my night shots.

Hi Gordon,

Actually I had taken a picture from my back garage door that included the corner of the house.... that was the first picture and then I walked down to the lake and took a shot across the lake... So the house picture superimposed on top of the lake picture (or visa versa :) and made the house look like it was sitting on the edge of the lake..when actually that corner is at least 60 plus feet back from the lake.

I just now found in my 'Recent Settings' menu that I had put the Multiple Exposures to ON but when I took the picture I had just taken it out of the box and had not changed a thing... later I fooled with some settings and then must have put that to ON.........still a mystery to me but at least good to know that the camera does have a Multiple Exposure setting.

Gaye :lol:

Gordon,

I have placed many a moon in my night shots.

That's a great idea. Now can see why the 'double exposure' mode could be very useful...so I've learned several things on this thread.

Thanks again,
Gaye

D2X

definitely has ME mode. I fiddled with it the other day. When you set it "on", you select how many exposures will be piled into one, then set the "gain". Once you finish the # of exposures that you had pre-set, the ME mode then goes off until you set it again.
I think that you somehow inadvertently set it up and got a double, then it turned off.

That's it! Patrick, I just played with it and I now see exactly how it works.
It doubles the exposure and then goes back to OFF.....that's a great option to have on the camera. I'm very pleased to know about this one.

Thanks to you and all,

Gaye

greyflash said:
I'm glad you found it Gaye, I wish I had that feature. I used to use my double exposure capability on my Nikon F3 body quite a bit. I have placed many a moon in my night shots.

But it's so simple to do in Photoshop...

This is a "triple exposure":

33268225.DSC_3615tripleimagelr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom