Doug's (bpdougd) 52 week project for 2020 - week 23

Impressive start on your 52 weeks project Doug
Wonderful stories and I like your music theme too.
Last but not least really great pictures (y)

Hope you get on top from your flu and knee problem🤞

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
First, a note. I have been absent from this 52 week adventure for a long while. I will not bore you with my travails. Suffice it to say that a combination of illness and family obligations intervened.

Week 23. Theme: Sometimes the photos choose the theme

The theme

I wasn’t really ready to jump back in to this but, as is often the case, life makes choices FOR us. Things had gotten better both health wise and life situation wise. We made our first trip of the year to our cabin and had the grand kids with us. The wildflowers were, if not at peak, at least profuse. During our time there my only macro lens, a Tamron 90 which performed splendidly on my D750, proved mostly unusable on my Z6. Upon return, I had some choices to make since a native Z macro, while on the roadmap, has no ETA.

I won’t go into the details of my decision process here but in the end I opted for a Sigma 105. I received it a couple of days ago and, of course, immediately went out to give it an initial test drive. It was a windy afternoon but I could not let a little wind get in my way. I kept the shutter speeds ludicrously high and got some encouraging shots of our front yard flora. And, since my lovely granddaughter was here, I got a couple of snaps of her.

Editing the photos a song jumped into my head. So, the photos happened and THEY dictated the theme.

The music and the story

The pictures I was looking at were simply a bunch of flowers and some pics of my granddaughter. But as I was culling and evaluating, one of my favorite John Denver tunes was on endless loop in my head. That song was Rhymes and Reasons (also the title of the album it is part of).

Lyrics

So you speak to me of sadness
And the coming of the winter
Fear that is within you now
It seems to never end

And the dreams that have escaped you
And the hope that you've forgotten
You tell me that you need me now
You want to be my friend

And you wonder where we're going
Where's the rhyme and where's the reason
And it's you cannot accept
It is here we must begin
To seek the wisdom of the children
And the graceful way of flowers in the wind

For the children and the flowers
Are my sisters and my brothers
Their laughter and their loveliness
Could clear a cloudy day

Like the music of the mountains
And the colours of the rainbow
They're a promise of the future
And a blessing for today

Though the cities start to crumble
And the towers fall around us
The sun is slowly fading
And it's colder than the sea
It is written from the desert
To the mountains they shall lead us
By the hand and by the heart
They will comfort you and me
In their innocence and trusting
They will teach us to be free

For the children and the flowers
Are my sisters and my brothers
Their laughter and their loveliness
Could clear a cloudy day

And the song that I am singing
Is a prayer to non believers
Come and stand beside us
We can find a better way

The photo(s)

As noted, just some front yard flowers (plus one adorable model). All photos are, as a practical matter, SOOC: shot RAW and converted in Lightroom. The only alterations are crops.

DSC_1710.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_1714.jpg
DSC_1717.jpg
DSC_1719.jpg
DSC_1720.jpg
DSC_1721.jpg
DSC_1726.jpg
DSC_1742.jpg
DSC_1745.jpg
DSC_1746.jpg
DSC_1748.jpg

The where, when, how and why of the photo

Where/when
Where: my front yard. When: 2 days ago.

How
Pictures were taken with the Nikon Z6. ISO was boosted a little from base to keep shutter speeds up. Most Colorado Springs summer afternoons are breezy but Monday was downright blustery.

Why

I had a new lens. All who are members here will understand.

Great to have you posting here again Doug. Life has a funny way of getting into the way of life!
Love the colors. Prime flower season or not, you sure have a great variety. And having a cute, and willing, model is tops!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome back, Doug! You've been missed! Glad that things are going better now for you. Your new lens is a keeper! Do you have to use the FTZ adapter with it, or does it mount directly? I like the photos, especially number 7, where we can see the bee's proboscis sticking into the flower!
It's the F-mount Sigma so it requires the FTZ adapter to fit to the Z6. I have a splendid Tamron SP 90 macro but it is useless on the Z6. Tamron has long promised but never delivered a firmware update. Nikon has a macro on the roadmap but with no ETA. The Nikon 105 (the newest AF-S version) was a consideration but I want to eventually go to a native mount lens and the Nikon is pricey for a "stopgap". The Sigma is a very good lens and, at half the price of the Nikon, a no-brainer for my stopgap.

Nikon’s failure to offer at least one native macro lens right from the get-go when it introduced its mirrorless series is when they lost me. That’s why a couple of months later I made the switch to Sony, because I wanted to immediately be able to purchase and to use native-mount lenses, not fiddle with some adapter doohickey or third-party lens while waiting for Nikon to finally release a native macro lens. Maybe in 2021 or 2022 they’ll cough one up....but I didn’t and don’t have the patience to wait that long!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom