Dove Nest

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Terri French, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Anyway, I think it is a dove. Please correct me if I am wrong.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a dove flying out of a spruce tree in my yard. It was coming from a spot fairly low to the ground. I checked, and there was a nest with two eggs. It has been fun to watch the eggs hatch and the birds grow. I can't believe how fast they change. Every day they are different. Today mama is not sitting on them, wonder if they are too big for her to be with them now.

If anyone has suggestions on the best way to photograph these in the few remaining days I have before they fly away, please make suggestions. I am finding it very difficult with the darkness of the tree and all the branches.

June 15--when I first saw her. Next is a very out of focus picture of the eggs taken the same day.

View attachment 11276

June 21, they day after they hatched.

View attachment 11277

June 27

View attachment 11278

June 28

View attachment 11279

Today

View attachment 11280

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Terri;

That's a wonderful series of shots. I think the bird might be a mourning (sp?) dove. We have some here in Salt Lake City. I enjoy their song.

Thanks for posting these.

Brian

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    beautiful Terri, Very well done.

What lens. Flash also i guess ??

Look foward to more

How far away were you..

Yes we call them Morning Doves

5. Terri, very nice series. It looks like you own a miniture schnauzer also. We have a nine year old male. They sure are fun. Thanks for sharing.

6. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Nice series here; love the progression of pics as they're growing up. Thanks for sharing.

7. Great series Terri. Boy, they sure fill up the nest quickly!

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent series and narrative Terri. I love posts like this one, that tell a nice story and are accompanied by excellent photos. :wink:

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks Brian. Glad to know that it is a dove. They do make a beautiful sound. The sound of their wings flapping is pretty, too.

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Gale,
    When I started taking pictures, I really didn't think of taking a series. I have used different lenses and some have flash, some don't. Actually, I've been experimenting with these. The lens I have been having the most luck with is my 70-300. That way, I don't have to get so close. Since that lens is so slow, I've had to use my flash with it.

I'm sure lusting for a better zoom. Oh well, once I get that I will just want something else, so I really should just enjoy taking pictures with what I've got!!!!

11. Very nice series Terri, well done, they are mourning doves.