1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Doves

Discussion in 'Birds' started by pdoes, Mar 22, 2007.

1. pdoes

pdoes

Aug 6, 2006
    NJ, USA
    Well my 3rd bird shot to be posted.
    We were leaving the house when I forgot my cellphone, as I walked into the kitchen I saw these two doves on our deck and they were snuggling up. Unfortunately I didn't get shots of that, I had to settle with some shots like this.

This was shot through the window of our sliding door.

70-200VR - M-Mode - 1/125 - f/4.5 - ISO 400 - 200mm
    [​IMG]

C&C appreciated.

As English is my 2nd language can somebody tell me the difference, if there is one, between doves and pigeons :) 

2. Very Nice capture Peter

I know to look at them but can't tell you what is the difference

3. Very nice indeed. Yes, these are mourning doves. Pigeons aren't as pretty! We also refer to pigeons as "rats with wings" :biggrin:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are beautiful
    You nailed it perfect here on my screen:>)))

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good captures Peter. BTW, your English appears to be pretty good to me. :smile:

6. pdoes

pdoes

Aug 6, 2006
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the nice comments people.

See in Dutch, my 1st language, we don't have a different name for the rats with wings, but the funny thing is we use the rats-with-wings reference as well.

7. pdoes

pdoes

Aug 6, 2006
    NJ, USA
    Thanks Frank, the built in spell check in Firefox helps a lot.

8. Beautiful! I beg to differ on the pigeons! I've seen some pretty ones around here! Rats with wings? Nah!

9. When I was a young boy growing up we called these Morning Doves because we heard them most in the morning. Later on I learned that they were in fact Mourning Doves because of the mournful sound they make.

10. pdoes

pdoes

Aug 6, 2006
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the comment Dianne.

Pigeons carry a lot of diseases with them, hence the name rats not because they look ugly :) 

In my hometown it's know there are certain pigeons that only eat French fries with ketchup, they won 't eat them if there is no ketchup on it. Shows you what "domestication" can do to "wildlife".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.