Down by the River

Discussion in 'People' started by Thos Quinn, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Just doing my continuing job of assuring that my son Forest remains in the top ten most photographed boys in northern California. All shots taken down by the Trinity River in our back yard with my D70, 18-70 lens (some pop-up fill flash).

The serious hunter readying for a spearfishing venture.
    original.

Going up...
    View attachment 108956

Coming down...
    View attachment 108957

After hours of scaring all the salmon, steelhead and brown trout away, there is nothing like ending the day with an attempt at more conventional fishing methods:eek:
    View attachment 108958

2. Great stuff Man!!!

3. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Nice work - I really like the last one.

4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Nicely done!

5. Thanks for looking and the comments Dave, Fred and Mark. Fred, I too like the last one the best. I'm way-over-my-head busy with work and being a single parent these days and hope things will calm down :)rolleyes:) so I can have the time to get more involved with this great site.

6. Great shots and post processing. These were all shot with our 18-70 lens? I can not get mine to do that!!

Sarah

7. Good work. I like #2 and 3 the best.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good images

9. Yes Sarah, I used my 18-70 for all these shots. This humble lens continues to be my favorite “walk around” lens and has served me well over the years. Its zoom range fits my walk-around shooting style, it snaps into focus, it is plenty sharp, and if it was a bit faster (f-stop wise) it would be darn near perfect IMHO. And thank you for the kind comment on PP; I often get more enjoyment out of that aspect of photography than taking the shot. Even in my "youth" I had more fun in the darkroom; and digital is even more fun. My PPing may be what is making the difference between my 18-70 and yours. I always shoot RAW and go through a number of steps in ACR and CS2 for nearly every one of my shots; it makes a world of difference (to me anyway).

Gordon, so you like #2 and 3 the best huh? It’s curious that those two are the most heavily PPed (#3 obviously). For #2 I blurred the background to imitate a shallow DOF seein’ as I can’t afford a faster (shallower) lens right now. I waffled on even completing #3 because of motion blur (aside from the blur I added) coupled with camera shake. I selectively sharpened the Forest(s) as much as possible to hide the limitations of the photographer’s shaky hands and the relatively slow lens (even though it was wide open). I guess I could have upped the ISO but I have a, perhaps unreasonable, loathing to going above my D70’s base 200. Maybe it is time to give in to some lens lust ($$$:eek:$$$); but I do still appreciate my good-ole 18-70.

Sarah, Gordon (and Gale as always), thanks for looking and taking the time to comment.

10. I like all of them Thos. Very colorful and creative.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super shots Thomas. He's a handsome little devil, isn't he? You must be very proud to have him for a son.