Downtown Miami from the air

Continuing with my aerials, this weekend I took an early flight with my friend and his Super Cub. Being my second time I tried different combinations of camera lenses. Can't carry much so each trip will have different gear until I find the right combo.

This wasn't it. Besides the light being too harsh this time of year, I took only primes. D300, D80, Sigma 150, Nikon 28/2.8 AIS and Nikon 50/1.8; (last set was with D700 - 24-70mm).

We took off from Tamiami and flew to the bay then north along the coast through Key Biscayne, Miami Beach all the way to Haulover Cut and back, then south to Homestead. 1,000 ft over land (minimum legal altitude) at 90mph, then went down to 500 ft over water and slowed to 75mph. The Cub is a great slow and steady shooting platform. You can open the door and windows, no dirty glass to contend with.

I had to take off the lens hood on the Sigma, too much wind. Funny part is when I switched to the 50/1.8 I had it fitted with a rubber band attached to the lens cap (my only one where I do so). I am used to have the cap hanging from the lens on that one. Of course, it lasted all of 1 second. The moment I took it out the window, the 70mph slipstream caught it and out it went. Have to order a replacement now (no hanging band for this next one!).

The D80 was a little to slow to focus when things happen fast, and the Bugma did well but often times it was too much lens on FX. Should have taken the 24-70mm and the D700 for this set.
Enough with the talking. I have a ton of pictures to process. These are some from the first batch.

1. Port of Miami and Downtown
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D80 - Sigma 150

2. Brickell area with the Rickenbacker Causeway in front

D80 - Sigma 150

3. Miami - Palm and Hibiscus Islands

D300 - 50/1.8

4. Brickell area - Miami

D300 - 50/1.8

5. Miami with the Rickenbacker Causeway and Seaquarium

D300 - Sigma 150mm

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Alex, you may not like them, but I like them!
And just looking at them, I think you could indeed tale the d700/24-70 with you. And I would suggest a pol filter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom