Downy Woodpecker, D200, Handheld 500mm

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Last Thursday afternoon Nancy tells me that she hears the Downy Woodpecker in our backyard. I don't have time to grab the tripod, so I grab the D200, decide it is such a dull day I'll try and pop-up the onboard flash and have a go. ISO 1600 to boot.

The first shot was standing handheld with my 500mm Sigma f4.5, by the time the last image occured I had the brains to use the back of the couch as a great big beanbag.

The first 2 images are the same, one with a touch of Noise Ninja, the other without. What do you think of the difference?

Female Downy on the Suet Feeder, Noise Ninja applied:
    [​IMG]

Female Downy on the Suet Feeder, no added noise reduction:
    [​IMG]

Don't I look cute:
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to get some more decent light, I sure hope it is before the next New Year :biggrin:

2. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Nice capture, picture without noice ninja is a little sharper, somehow bad bokeh.

3. Man, this is just not fair. As you know I don't get these in MC!!! Darn it.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bill,

Both look OK. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the NN version.

5. Never used NN, but would give the edge to it. You people and your back yards!!! urghhhhhhhh

6. I like the one treated with NN

7. Thanks, John. The background of the two images should be the only place where you can see the effect of Noise Ninja. The bird is from a layer which has no NR added.

As to the bokeh, are you talking about the 3rd image? Sometimes when I crop out with this type of background and then compress for the web it does look a little strange. If that is not the one, could you explain further please?

8. Jim, the funny part is that when Nancy called me I didn't think I'd even get a chance at all. She opened the back door slowly, the bird stayed while I grabbed the camera. Figured I'd best not take the time to set up on the tripod, so handheld it was.

9. Thanks, Frank, it will be interesting once we get some D200 profiles for NN as well. This is just default with a little more "strength", and the bird itself has none.

I don't think it looks bad at all even without the added treatment myself, but I think I agree with you, a little bit does help.

10. Thanks, Keith, how much of an edge would you give it? I haven't printed these yet, but I'll be you can't see much difference at all in a print.

As to backyards, I am envious of many of the folks here. Our backyard is fairly small, about 18x50 feet. We are just lucky to be near a wetland area and have now had 13 different species come to our feeders this year which is really amazing. Whereever you are, put out a feeder or two of you can, you never know what might turn up.

11. Thanks, Mike, NN is certainly in the lead now!