dpr d200 preview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fks, Nov 1, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    and ritz is now taking pre-orders at $1699.99, no tax and free shipping (i'm not affiliated with ritz, but i've purchased my d100 and d2h from them with no problems).

ricky

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    thanks Ricky, I got my place in line locally on Mon, even though they said "can't take your pre order since the camera doesn't exist, but will put you on a "list."
    Seems like this camera is going to be "less forgiving" like the 2X, since it's packing all it's 10.2 MP into the same size sensor as the D100 had. btw, what's "Eyepoint 19.5 mm" mean? this si different from the D100's 24mm.
    Also, how convenient will it be to change the ISO, Qual, & WB on this cam vs the D2X?

Also, does anyone actually know when this cam is going to be for sale in the US?

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the link, Ricky. Much appreciated.

4. You can get a $34 rebate (2%) of the Ritz $1699.99 price if you sign up for Ebates before placing your pre-order.

Every 3 months or so Ebates will mail you a rebate check for purchases made from their partnered-vendors. You'd be surprised how it can add up, especially when buying big ticket items.

Glenn

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Based on the preview this is going to be an impressive camera. It really does look like a mini-D2x with the only real differences being body size, frame rate/HSC, AF, and sensor type/resolution. It even has all the little features of the D2x like mulitple exposure and interval shooting, multiple custom setting banks, FP flash mode, etc. I'm a little surprised at the 1/250 flash sync, I guess that means no electronic shutter otherwise there would be no reason for them to leave it out. But it's my understanding the D70 electronic shutter had some limitations at extremely fast shutter speeds or when shooting into the sun, so maybe they felt it was better to addresss those than to have 1/500 flash sync.

It's funny, you look at the D200 compared to the 5D, and aside from sensor size/resolution (and likely ISO noise advantage), the D200 looks to be a better camera in every way despite costing half as much.

At $1699 this thing is a steal. I'm guessing the D200 will be a huge hit for Nikon, not only with D100/D70 users looking to upgrade but also D2x/D2h users looking for a second body. Heck if I could justify a second body I'd be in l line to get one (but I can't). I

6. I'm going to buy a D200, add that to my D2H and I think I'm going to pick a D70s for the 1/500th flash sync. So I'll own a D2H, D200 and D70 camera combo! Is that too excessive? :tongue:

Sheesh, by the end of this year, I would have literally gone through a dozen bodies within 3 years! haha!

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi all-

the benefits of not being able to go to bed before midnight :biggrin:

i had lunch with a photo buddy and told him about the d200. now he's interested in getting one too, but he, like me, doesn't really "need" another digital body :tongue: the good thing about nikon's measured development pace is gadget heads like myself and my friend don't have to buy a new body every year!

what i haven't factored is the support equipment i'm going to need, namely more CF cards, more portable hard drive storage, more CD's & DVD's for long term storage....and i was so happy when i went from 6MP to 4MP :frown:

ricky

8. Well, I do not need one but I JUST WANT ONE! Seeing how I just bought my D70s in June I suppose I just have to be in lust for about another year.

I will be waiting for all the real feedback from the users who get one of these D200's when they actually begin shipping. Cool thing (even for me) is that the D2X is simple out of my price range right now but, the D200 is much more in my range of possiblities of getting sometime late next year.

9. Don't bother with the D70.

JohnG