DPR is over the top

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike mac, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Just stopped into check out DPR there are two picture posts on the first page and one is getting blasted cause of its American theme. The D2Hs has sure started a lot of furor, I am so sick of the whining and speculation over there, thank you Frank and Partick for this little spot of normalcy among the craziness

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

You are certainly welcome. Thanks for being a positive and supportive influence at the Café. With folks like you, we should have some good times, and learn even more about our favorite avocation. :wink:

Kindest regards,

Frank

3. I could not agree MORE.

I was just about to voice the same thoughts, and was going to say that I thought that my interpretation was due to me being English. I am glad to read that this is not the case.
    I do find it very very difficult to get my head round some of the opinions posted after a new camera is announced. Some people seem to think that their world has come to an end, because they have the older model.
    I have just purchased a Reconditioned D2H from Cameta which I am hoping will arrive before Saturday. It was very obvious that the MODEL D2H was coming to the end of its run, and that something was going to replace it. Yet I will have a superb camersa that has only cost me $1655 as against $2800 in the UK and $4600 a year ago. Ok IT IS RECONDITIONED but do I care. NBLikely.
    I cannot thank Janet Zinn enough for pushing me in the direction of this forum. Sanity is a delightful state of mind.
    Will be posting my first insect and bird pictures very soon.

With my best wishes. Bob the Spiderman. England.

4. Re: I could not agree MORE.

I popped over to DPR early today and you'd think Nikon went out of business! After reading some of the (mostly negative) remarks on the new version of the D2Hs I read Phil's summary. Big deal! It's an update to an already good camera. They announced it now to avoid drawing attention to the D2X. Based on the work I see from our own cafe denizens and Ron Reznick and Lee Stanstead it isn't any limitations of the camera. If people can produce magnificent pictures with the D2H "raising the bar", the capability is there for others.

The usual Canon "employees" came out of the swamp to trash the D2Hs. Peter Phan, T3, James McPeak, whatever his real name is, has about 15 consecutive posts trashing Nikon, a clear violation of Phil's policy. I reminded him (Phil) of the policy; we'll see what he does about it.

I used to think of DPR as an English pub, where folks met to discuss digital photography. The occasional troll was like a drunk, trying to get attention and bore people with his rants. Now the DPR "pub" has degraded into a football hooligans' bar, full of fist fights and screaming.

Thanks again for starting this forum.

Rich

5. There's no shortage of garbage at DPReview right now from folk with too much cash and zero talent. Thank God for this oasis; it's a sane place to be and I'm grateful for all the good folk that are here and for the fact that this forum was started.

6. My sentiments exactly. I read a little of the DPR posts and bugged out because of the negativity.

7. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Contentious. That is the first word that comes to mind anymore when I look in at DPR. And looking in is about all I have done. Not worth posting. So nice to have a haven here to lift up and out of the muck. Let the trolls roll in it.

8. As one who has been sitting back more than taking part it been an interesting time...
    When I pop into DPR I see more of the same crap that has gone on forever. The difference being that there is (even more) of it.
    At the end of the day, there seems to be a lot of folk's who really are not interested in cameras or photography but are simply interested in trashing others.
    Looking a little deeper it seems that the Nikon board is not the only location for this crap... I see some poor guy trying to get some help on the retouching board is being hammered for not having any "Artistic talent". But yet the guy is posting and asking for help to try and get some.
    Then on the lighting board, there is a war about what is good light and what is not.
    So at the end of the day, it would seem that the whole site is just gotten out of control and is not a very good place to even check out anymore....
    To bad!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    gee I go there and look for the names I know and have a look at there stuff. Like Jarrell Conley.

:>))

Same on the retouching.. The names and talent have a folowing.

I just pass by the garbage.

Regards
    Gale

10. " I think it's time for a Group Hug ..."

Quote from Yves on DPR just now. That works for me!

:eek:)

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: " I think it's time for a Group Hug ..."

Perfect Rich.... :D :D

Frank

12. Re: " I think it's time for a Group Hug ..."

Sorry. I knew we agreed to let this thread die....but I saw them stuck in a corner cabinet after reading Yves' post and couldn't resist.

Rich