DPReview: 2 interesting topics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JerseyJay, Apr 29, 2005.

1. As to the first one, I am so tempted to reply "Yes, you have it right, and we are quite proud of it as well....". Unfortunately, I don't think the person who started the thread would get the point......

2. Kind of comical, we are getting a cult mistique.

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Who invited me? :lol:

I'm not worthy!

4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Boy it's nice to be loved. :)

5. It's kinda refreshing

For once some decent people discussing things in a decent manner. er, that's the people here, not at DPR.

I often wander into DPR and read the posts but I have always been curious as to why it seems so aggressive and tense there. Isn't there room and time for everyone, good and bad, experienced and inexperienced, professional and amateur, genius and brain-dead?

It's a bit like cities and countryside. I hate cities. Find them stifling, cold and alarming in many ways. The countryside is the exact opposite (in my mind at least). And yet it is good to go to the city from time to time to remember what it is that I find so difficult and why I love the country so. And cities do have their uses too.

6. love the first thread....

nikon Cafe is stuck up..... yet... we all come here to avoid the idiotic postings like that one.... made me laugh...
    Michael

7. besides, we are not stuckup, we are elitist! Dont forget that!

8. Well it is inevitable that as there will be posts like this at DPR, I'm sure the DPR crowd have felt that a lot of people with insight have left, therefore calling them elitists. For me it has been all goodness, I'm back to the atmosphere I would like to be in, and I can get good quick answers from smart nice people, and get inspiration from great photograpers and their work.

As an "elitist" comment about DPR a lot of the questions keep coming back again and again, and gets the same runaround of anwers. Not sure what I can learn anyore from it...

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    If anybody wanted to know why Nikon Cafe was created all you have to do is show them those two threads and another 100 or so on DPR. Kind of sad really.

10. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    "It is by invitation! Another reason to switch brands!"

11. I like this, and I think I have a way to be helpful, very helpful, to all of those folks....

Patrick and Frank, how about setting up SwitchersCafe.com or WhinersCafe.com, just for those folks, and we good do a mass "invite all". Now, you might think at first that this would cause a lot of work, but the next step is to do a random redirect so every time they hit the URL they get popped to some completely random place. Now, you might ask, how would this be helpful to them? Well, friendly person and always helpful as I am thnk of the new fodder this would give them to complain about.

1. How lousy ID/Firefox/Safari is that it can't figure things out
    2. How rotten MS is for putting together such a rotten product. Of course this has nothing to do with MS but when did that ever stop them?
    3. And lastly, how horrid we all are at the Cafe for perpetrating such a hoax.

And I would be REAL proud of that last one :wink: .

I like Harri's use of "Elitist", and to be quite honest with you I think we are, and we should be. The truly sad part of this is that in this case "Elitist" simply means that we are helpful and courteous. Heck, we could recite most of the US Boy Scout Oath and you would have us nailed. Of course one part of it that is right out the window is the bit about "Thrifty". I don't think that counts when you look at the price of Nikon glass :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK everybody, we know why we're here, and we know that there are jerks at other places, including our beloved DPR. Probably some here, but because we don't tolerate misbehavior, they don't act up.

Let's leave DPR alone for now. IMHO, it is still the best on-line digi review site, period. It's just that with unmoderated fora, you get nastiness from time to time.

Let's close this one out, and move on to the positive subjects that attracted everyone here in the first place. 8)

Thanks!!

Frank

13. Absolutely

DPR is ok. I like it as I have learned quite a lot from some very learned people. I just found it odd that it can get a bit tough so often. But yes, it has good reviews, good information, a wide spectrum of equipment is covered.

So there is space in this world for both here and there.

14. My take on the forums.

My year at DPR:
    It's like driving around the freeway in rush hour. If you are rude or flip someone off...who cares...not me, not them. Every time you think it matters some belligerent fool spoils it.

My first day here:
    It's like sitting across a table in a bar with people you sort of want to know better. Courtesy and civility and presenting yourself well does matter. Belligerent fools need not apply.

Nice here.

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Other Forums and Attitudes

Apparently the thread I saw about NikonCafe at DPR was by someone who would not be welcome here, but it served a good purpose because I found my way here. I didn't need any urging, I was ready to find something better.

I have lamented for many, many years that there are no "intelligent chats" on the Web. Most start off with good intentions but are quickly overrun by a certain type. It doesn't take much to ruin a chat or forum. It is understandable if you believe in human nature.

Most, and hopefully all of us for now, who are here are looking to have a good time - whatever that means to each of us. So, we do whatever it is we enjoy: Post photos, comment on photos, post General and Technical questions and positions, respond to same, etcetera. Well, some folks get their jollies in other ways. For some it's acting elitist, or being contentious, answering in derogatory terms, being plain nasty, making fun of others, and all the other negative and troubling things I have come to expect at, for instance, the DP Review Forum. It's human nature.

It takes a lot of work, concentration and dedication to "police" a forum or chat room to keep it "good". After a career spanning 30 years in law enforcement I have "been there, done that, bought the T-shirt", and never stopped jousting at windmills. It is not up to just the moderators to police a forum and keep it a nice place. Every one of the members must accept the responsibility of not allowing a few malcontents, miscreants and "anyone who looks like them" to enjoy their particular brand of fun.

The NikonCafe is off to a great start and it's a wonderful place. Keeping it that way won't be easy, but will be worth it. And that's my 2ยข worth!

16. Good for you. I agree with you and I am looking forward to an enjoyable and peaceful time here.

17. On the cafe, since the "senior" members are as old as my parents, I figure I should act a bit more respectable... :p:)

18. Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Apr 24, 2005
    Alaska
    I think of DPR as the CB radio of the forums - many people with their 'ears on' :D
    Greetings from Alaska
    Tom

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Har, Har Jonathan.... 8)

Actually, some of us senior members are as old as your grandparents. :lol: