dpreview has gone totally nuts!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Dec 16, 2005.

1. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    The dpreview D1/D2/D100/D200 forum has gone totally nuts! Threads were being pushed off page 1 in only 12 minutes!!! Most posts are from euphoric D200 owners and anxious wait-listers.

I think Nikon has a massive hit on their hands with the D200. And I'm glad to see it. Congrat's to Nikon & the new D200 owners!

2. Look at the good side of it.....

This kills the trolls when their posts disappear in minutes. How can one cause trouble if nobody is aware of it? Kinda like following a graffiti vandal with paint remover.

:wink:

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    And you just came to this realization? DPR has been insane for the last few weeks, the whining, cursing and everything in between. I won't even go there, I've been knocking around that pengu from Sandi's link a few weeks back. Great stress relief, the 5th one (golf) is my favorite!

4. I get a kick out of the one guy who is cursing Adorama and posting such on every thread someone posts about getting shipping notification! Good for an afternoon chuckle. :smile:

5. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I've noticed an increase in the number of Nikon related questions in the dpreview Pro Digital Talk forum recently. I think many are looking for a sane place to get help while the Nikon D1/D2/D100/D200 churns so madly. Perhaps some people in search of help will find their way to NikonCafe.

6. Be careful what you wish for:cool:

Woody

7. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    AMEN to that!!

8. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    :biggrin: I hear you! When I made that statement I was thinking of the reasonable posters who were currently looking for help with interesting problems on the Pro forum. Not the goofy ones.

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    On a military forum I frequented we had a bout of 'wannabees' plaguing us. When one of these numpties got out of hand one of the moderators simply informed the site creator and he toasted them. IP and email address burnt off the list and banned. :Shocked:
    If it happens I hope Patrick will do something similar. Not only does it remove the irritation it also makes other sensible users appreciate the site and understand that their concerns are understood.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Thanks Patrick and Monty for keep the troll filter on the front door, helps keep my sanity!

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks! Fun program....:Happy:

13. DeanTomasula

DeanTomasula Guest

The problem with the Pro Forum on DP Review is that it is populated by so many amateurs asking stupid questions, that it's generally useless for any real information. Too many "My girlfriend's mom wants me to take a picture of her, what should I charge?" and "I have about 75 good photos, how can I become a professional stock photographer with Getty Images?".

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. Since it's been over three years it is hard to remember but my memory tells me it was pretty much the same when the D100 became commonly available and I was one of the new owners. I did more reading than posting but it sure got noisey over there, especially when folks were trying to solve the under exposure catastrophe. I seem to remember there being fewer trolls then and more people that were really trying to be helpful. Some of those folks are still there too and still being their pleasant selves, Jono Slack for one. At least there is a place to escape to......right here! I hope the folks who got their new D200s are enjoying them. I'll have one next year.

Happy holidays folks

16. hey these would make great photoshop tools!!!!
    Thanks for the fun!

As is my nature, I hated the "wash" tool. Hate to clean up!
    Dave

17. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Cool. Put several termites out. Then torch them with the flame thrower. Or Blast them with the machine gun.:biggrin:

18. Great tool Sandy.

However, I did notice that there was much less noise on the phaser tool than with the flamethrower. Could you post your testing methodology Chris for a more accurate analysis?:wink:

Mark