DPR's Fuji S5 Review

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Tosh, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Well I'm glad I didn't buy the S5 and got the D200 instead!

2. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Phil needs to send that 50/1.4 in for service. I think there are a few mistakes in that review and in general the use of the 50/1.4 for F-mount test shots at f8. The DR seems about right. Have not had time to run the tests myself.

Refraining from getting up on the soap box. :eek:

3. Hows that ? You think his nikkor 50mm/1,4 is defect ?

The Nikkor 50mm/1,4 is good enough for nikon service centers, they use it as a refernce for most of their diagnostic/tests.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007
  4. an interesting read. look at the pics in the gallery for the test, there are a couple of outstanding iso 3200 pics. Look at the noise levels compared between the S5, the d200 and the canon 30d. The "recommended" as opposed to the highly recommended probably is because the S5 is more expensive. Most S5 owners are not selling up to get a D200 to replace it. The point is both the D200 and the S5 are outstanding cameras and I have obsolutely no regrets at going with the S5

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I don't know if his is defective or they don't bracket their focus. Yes I know the 50/1.4 is Nikons reference lens. I'm not a newbie.:rolleyes: I also know that its very common for the 1.4 to show a loss of contrast beyond f5.6. Phils scene shots are more about comparing lenses than the camera's themselves.

Before you think I am being defensive of the S5, I have voiced my opinion about Phils lens choice for F mount reviews on the DPR many times before.

Have I offened you at some point? It seems that you like to debate my posts.

6. :confused: Ill think of that, next time ill just sing along.....

7. No one has asked you to sing along. Differing points of view can be presented without argumentative style or repetitive sarcasm. Life would be boring if everyone always agreed or kept their ideas to themselves. However, presentation of said points is often the key. :wink:

8. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    S5 Sample

I just picked up a S5 Pro to add to my wedding mix and so far am still getting used to it. I like it, but it is different in some regards--like speed. I also have a D70, D200 and D2Hs so the S5 was bought specifically for really harsh lighting outdoor shooting (weddings) where the others don't do as well.

I tested this body indoors in low-light conditions last night at the zoo and was very pleased with the results that I saw. Below is an example of a shot taken at ISO 1250. Yes the image is resized, but there is a virtual lack of noise--especially when compared to the D200.

The example below is taken with the 17-55, handheld at the zoo's shark exhibit. Yes, that is a leopard shark in the water right in front of my wife and youngest daughter.

172736863-L.

Sean

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I bought the S5 specifically for weddings. Having used it extensively for a couple of weeks, I am very happy with the results. The Fuji's color is better than my D2x and it handles noise better also. The differences in DR have been less easy to discern in many images, but what has been very obvious to me is how much more recoverable 'blown' highlights are with the S5.

Downsides (which I knew in advance) include slower frame rate (not an issue for weddings) and focusing which feels less 'snappy' than my D2x.