Dragon Hunt - 07/02/08

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    These are more pictures from my outing on the 2nd. I really had not gone through all of them so here are a few more....

1.Pachydiplax longipennis - Blue Dasher

[​IMG]

2.Pachydiplax longipennis - Blue Dasher

[​IMG]

3.Erythemis collocata - Western Pondhawk

[​IMG]

4.Libellula lydia - Common Whitetail

[​IMG]

5.Gomphus kurilis - Pacific Clubtail
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Paul, I like those -- especially the last one. I usually have difficulty focusing on a dragon against that kind of background, especially at that kind of angle. I estimate that your DOF (based on 300mm, f10, and 6-7 ft distance) should have been only about 0.5 in., but the image seems to say otherwise. Do you mind sharing your technique?

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Bob,
    I'm actually working at about 4.5 to 5 feet. That dragon was pretty patient with me.I would estimate the actual DOF at about 3 inches.

Not really sure I have a technique....:frown:

I manually focus, I found that I have better results and a lot more control. Tripod mounted, wired release w/ Mirror lockup ....

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Paul. I'm using a similar setup but with a D70 not the D300. Has to be either the camera or manual focus -- maybe I should have the cataract removed from my right eye:biggrin:.

5. I especially like the last two images, Paul.. Thanks for sharing them.

6. Very nice set, Paul!

That Pacific Clubtail is a beautiful Dragon!

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautiful. I really like the light on the first one. I get so jealous of all your beautiful dragons. Yes, the Clubtail is pretty.

8. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank Tom.

Thanks Jukka, I like the Clubtail as well. They sure don't seem to want to land very often....

Thanks Torben, the light on the first one is partially affected by the smoke in the air. Californias forest fires have been blowing smoke north causing a lot of haze for Oregon and Washington.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  9. Nice work. Now I know the name of that one I see n the river all the time. "common whitetail"

I'm guessing that working with tripod you just pick a spot and wait and wait and......?

Still can't seem to find how others are reading exif data from these posts however.

glenn

10. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Glenn,
    Actually I move my tripod around and actively hunt the dragons... I watch and see where and if they land, as well as continually watching the bushes and grass for dragons that have already decided to perch.

As far as the EXIF data, there are a lot of free viewers (OPANDA, KUSO...etc) that can be downloaded. Once downloaded and installed, right click on an image and select "open with EXIF viewer" and it will give you the image details.

11. Nice series Paul, I especially like the pose and colors on the first capture.

12. As always a stunning round of dragons from the 300 :)

you've inspired me to head out again today to see what other species I can find

13. Thanks Paul. Don't know of any viewers for Mac. I can see why tripod a must now. [email protected] I guess fortunately from what my limited experience has shown is that once they do rest they tend to stay pretty still while they perch.

14. Simple EXIF Viewer works well on the Mac, instead of right clicking you drag the image onto the program icon on the Dock.

15. May be the one another member sent me. Thanks!

glenn