Dragon Hunt - 07/02/08

These are more pictures from my outing on the 2nd. I really had not gone through all of them so here are a few more....

1.Pachydiplax longipennis - Blue Dasher

dragon_75.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2.Pachydiplax longipennis - Blue Dasher

dragon_76.jpg

3.Erythemis collocata - Western Pondhawk

dragon_77.jpg

4.Libellula lydia - Common Whitetail

dragon_78.jpg

5.Gomphus kurilis - Pacific Clubtail
dragon_79.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul, I like those -- especially the last one. I usually have difficulty focusing on a dragon against that kind of background, especially at that kind of angle. I estimate that your DOF (based on 300mm, f10, and 6-7 ft distance) should have been only about 0.5 in., but the image seems to say otherwise. Do you mind sharing your technique?

Bob,
I'm actually working at about 4.5 to 5 feet. That dragon was pretty patient with me.I would estimate the actual DOF at about 3 inches.

Not really sure I have a technique....:frown:

I manually focus, I found that I have better results and a lot more control. Tripod mounted, wired release w/ Mirror lockup ....

Bob,
I'm actually working at about 4.5 to 5 feet. That dragon was pretty patient with me.I would estimate the actual DOF at about 3 inches.

Not really sure I have a technique....:frown:

I manually focus, I found that I have better results and a lot more control. Tripod mounted, wired release w/ Mirror lockup ....

Thanks Paul. I'm using a similar setup but with a D70 not the D300. Has to be either the camera or manual focus -- maybe I should have the cataract removed from my right eye:biggrin:.

Beautiful. I really like the light on the first one. I get so jealous of all your beautiful dragons. Yes, the Clubtail is pretty.

I especially like the last two images, Paul.. Thanks for sharing them.

Thank Tom.

Very nice set, Paul!

That Pacific Clubtail is a beautiful Dragon!

Thanks Jukka, I like the Clubtail as well. They sure don't seem to want to land very often....

Beautiful. I really like the light on the first one. I get so jealous of all your beautiful dragons. Yes, the Clubtail is pretty.

Thanks Torben, the light on the first one is partially affected by the smoke in the air. Californias forest fires have been blowing smoke north causing a lot of haze for Oregon and Washington.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. Now I know the name of that one I see n the river all the time. "common whitetail"

I'm guessing that working with tripod you just pick a spot and wait and wait and......?

Still can't seem to find how others are reading exif data from these posts however.

glenn

Nice work. Now I know the name of that one I see n the river all the time. "common whitetail"

I'm guessing that working with tripod you just pick a spot and wait and wait and......?

Still can't seem to find how others are reading exif data from these posts however.

glenn

Glenn,
Actually I move my tripod around and actively hunt the dragons... I watch and see where and if they land, as well as continually watching the bushes and grass for dragons that have already decided to perch.

As far as the EXIF data, there are a lot of free viewers (OPANDA, KUSO...etc) that can be downloaded. Once downloaded and installed, right click on an image and select "open with EXIF viewer" and it will give you the image details.

As always a stunning round of dragons from the 300 :)

you've inspired me to head out again today to see what other species I can find

Glenn,
Actually I move my tripod around and actively hunt the dragons... I watch and see where and if they land, as well as continually watching the bushes and grass for dragons that have already decided to perch.

As far as the EXIF data, there are a lot of free viewers (OPANDA, KUSO...etc) that can be downloaded. Once downloaded and installed, right click on an image and select "open with EXIF viewer" and it will give you the image details.

Thanks Paul. Don't know of any viewers for Mac. I can see why tripod a must now. 300mm@f10. I guess fortunately from what my limited experience has shown is that once they do rest they tend to stay pretty still while they perch.

Latest threads

Top Bottom