Dragon Hunt 07-08 - Ophiogomphus occidentis & Friends

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Went back out today to see if I could locate the Western River Cruiser again, since yesterday was the firt time I had seen it. (See Yesterdays Post Here)

Not only did I find the River Cruiser I found the Sinuous Snaketail as well! The Snake Tail was in a position where I couldn't get a shot of it's face... but at least I got something.

1. Sinuous Snaketail - Ophiogomphus occidentis

[​IMG]

2. Western River Cruiser - Macromia magnifica

[​IMG]

3. BLUE DASHER - Pachydiplax longipennis

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    The first shot is great! Now you have inspired me to do some more dragon slaying.
    I've walked through a couple of swamps last week and didn't see any.
    I notice you have the 105mm micro but the shots are taken with a 300mm f/4. Now, are you using the 300mm mainly because of the distance between you and the subject? I ask because all I have is the 105mm micro and on FX, I'm afraid it might not be even close to enough.

3. Love all of your dragon shots! My wife laughed at me the other night because I was reading an article on how to attrack dragons to our backyard. She doesn't realize that my inspiration is purely photography-based and because of your (and a few others) awesome work on this site. I told her it was to reduce the mosquitoes in our yard. :tongue: Can't wait to capture my first one.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    That Ophiogomphus occidentis sure is a pretty dragonfly. More shots please. Good work Paul.

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    This Is Me,
    Thanks, Glad I could be an inspiration.
    I shoot the 300 AF-s for just the reason you stated... the distance between the subject and myself. Not to mention the IQ of the 300 is stunning if it is stabilized.

Anthony,
    Tell your wife this is serious business, hunting big like this! :biggrin:
    I used the mosquito defense with my wife as well... I really don't think she bought it, but I used it. I tried to convince my wife I needed the D3 and a 400 VR as well ... no luck.

Torben,
    I was lucky to catch sight of the Ophiogomphus occidentis today. He was cruising through, not around the bushes. Not sure what he was looking for but he stayed in the bushes and navigated around all of the branches and leaves. It was cool to watch. This is only the second meeting we have had.

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    My guess is that he was looking for a female. I see it all the time with other species. It's amazing how the can maneuver between all the water plants.

We only have one Ophiogomphus specie in our country and it's very rare and 5-6 hours away. I guess if I have to see I must visit Jukka in Finland.

7. I´m just waiting the weather getting a bit better to visit in Gomphidae wonderland :smile:

That cruiser is really wonderful Dragon! By the way Paul, time to clean the sensor! :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.