Dragon hunt 2, + bonus!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Hi All, I went back to Hidden Pond park to shoot dragons. This time out I brought the D700, 300/4 AF, and kenko tubes (I had two on, the big one and one of the smaller ones). There were not as many around, perhaps the season is ending, but I had better luck than the first time around. All except final two, were tripod mounted, MLU, remote shutter, f16, and JPG. I gotta start shooting raw someday...:rolleyes: 

1. D1

8282008dfly1-vi.

2. D2

8282008dfly2-vi.

3. D3

8282008dfly3-vi.

4. D4

8282008dfly4-vi.

5. D5

8282008dfly5-vi.

BONUS COVERAGE

While packing up my gear I had just put on my 105VR and got the surprise you see in the final two!!! LUCKY! Anyone know what this is? Beautiful critter, first time I have seen one...

6. L1 f8, 105VR

8282008liz1-vi.

7. L1, f5 105VR

8282008liz2-vi.

2. cool serpent!! maybe just google "Black sstriped lizard with blue tail"

3. Please tell me what lense your using. I tried again today and none of them came anywhere close to yours. I am so amazed by the crisp clear pic. Please help me out!

4. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    nice series as usual Rich

love the neon tail on the lizard thing

5. Well, I love the blue tailed lizard, I think they're called skinks? I used to catch them when I was a kiddo....

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Yep, a Skink of some type.....the 300 is just such a nice piece of glass....nice series BTW.

7. Thanks threecats! I thought the lizard was awesome, and so nice of her to show herself to me right after I had switched out of gear that would have made the shots impossible...

Thanks HurleyG, I have a long long way to go. Look to the work of Torben, Jukka, Jan, Paul (tojor, jankappa, pendragon, & spectre respectively), and many others here for true dragon inspiration. That said, the dragons were captured with an old Nikon 300mm f4 lens. Is is the one just prior to the current AFS one and can be had fairly inexpensively. I bought mine used from a cafe member. The key is to use extension tubes (I use the kenko set), which serve to increase magnfication while still allowing you to maintain quite a long working distance from the subject. Torben first turned me on to this combo when he so graciously shared his secrets. Yet it is only this year that I have ventured forth! Practice practice! Good tripod!

8. Hey Frank, thanks for the kind words. That tail was blinding in the sun today. Very cool and perfectly timed...

Thanks Sonya...

Paul: Thanks for the definitive ID. Very cool!

Thank Jeff, just to be clear that the skink was done with the 105VR...

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent series Rich. I like the compositions and the bokeh very much. The lizard is a real beauty too.

10. 5% glass/95% technique. I don't want to speak for the OP but he may agree. It's easy to get caught up in that trap Amanda. I think you will find that to the average viewer most of todays lenses will equal about the same quality All other aspects being equal.

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice, Rich! I like the 1st one and the 2 lizard images. You seem to do real good shooting JPG! But it can only improve, with RAW...not that you need improvement. :smile:

12. Beautiful series, Rich!

13. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Beautiful Rich, it's really nice to see you getting the hang of the D700. Keep it up.

14. Crave

Crave Guest

The lizard is beautiful!!
    The blue neon in his tail rocks!!
    For the Dragon, i would like some more proporcion, but thats just me!!

Ps: Raw rules, you should start using it!!

15. kiankheong

kiankheong

Nov 19, 2007
    Malaysia
    That's a very colourful and beautiful skink.

Wish I could find something similar here in Malaysia. The ones I usually come across are bigger, but golden brown in colour.

16. Thanks Francis, I really need all the help I can get! I should, however, have made the switch to raw processing at the beginning of the summer when time was carefree. Semester starts Tuesday and I will be scrambling through December 8th!

Thanks Jukka, kind of you to comment...

Thanks Paul... I hope you get some gear soon!

17. Such color in nature really surprised me. I thought I was seeing things, I mean that skink was GLOWING!!! :biggrin:

Thanks so much, I was very excited to see this critter. I am sure in Malaysia that there are some very colorful things to shoot though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.