1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragon Hunt and mishap...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Well, it started out as a pretty good dragon hunting day. I was able to shoot a couple of different Darners and other misc. dragons when all of a sudden things took a turn for the worse.

I had seen what I believed to be a Gomphid head into some bushes. I set my tripod down about 5 feet away and went to investigate. There was some tall grass on the side of the field where I was and I took a step into it. What I didn't know ( and much to my surprise ) was that there was a sheer enbankment that dropped about 8 feet straight down.

Much like anticipating an extra stair step or not expecting to step off of a curb. The lack of ground ( or anything else) under my foot caused me to lose balance and down I went. I ended up about 8 feet down in a thicket of berry vines with the wind knocked out of me, having landed on my back.

I laid there gasping for breath for a few minutes trying to figure out the best way to get out of my predicament. I ended up having to plow my way through the berry vines.... wearing shorts and a t-shirt, tring to find a way up the bank. I ended up crawling out, getting my camera and basically crawling to my car.

At this point the only thing that really hurts is my back. I am still having a hard time breathing and my wife wants to take me to the hospital..... ( not going to happen... at least not today.)

So, having recapped the days events.... here are a few dragons that I managed to shoot.

1. This Darner is a bit of a mystery to me... all of the California Darners I have seen and the Blue Eyed Darners... have blue eyes. You'll notice this has silver eyes and the body markings are silver / grey as well. Any Ideas?

[​IMG]

2. California Darner

[​IMG]

3. Blue Dasher

[​IMG]

4. Blue Dasher

[​IMG]

5. Twelve Spotted Skimmer

[​IMG]

6. Western Pondhawk Male

[​IMG]

7. Western Pondhawk Female - Note she has a bad wing, but she was eating something so apparently she manages.

[​IMG]

2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    yikes - hope you're OK - sounds like a broken rib - off to hospital I say

Great images though. #1 and #5

3. Hi Paul

Great pictures, but not much consolation for your pain. I hope you recover quickly.

Re: darner. I wouldn't worry too much about colour when trying to i.d. it. Colours change with age and can even vary with temperature in some species. The thoracic side stripes and other markings are much more reliable.

Cheers,

Larry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  4. Wow Paul - hope you're alright

beauty shots though :) 

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Darren,
    Thanks for the comments on the images.... My wife is on the phone right now making a Dr's appointment.

Thanks for the info on the Darner Larry. I had no idea they changed colors. The thoracic coloration indicated California Darner but this is the first time I have seen the Silver eyes and silver/grey body markings.

Paul,
    I am a bit more sore today than yesterday.... feels like I got hit by a bus. But I'm sure I'll survive. Thanks for the comments about the pictures.

6. Excellent series, Paul!

Hope you´re going to be fine!

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    First of all I hope you are OK. It's a dangerous sport.

Excellent shots. I think the first Darner is immature. It will probably be fully colored in a few days.

8. I really like 1 and 5. I know 'trying to get the shot" type stuff can be dangerous, but for an accident to come out of the blue is really scary. I guess your first thought was, does anyone know where I am. I would not put off a check up, if having trouble breathing!!

9. So I have to ask...did you look to see if anyone saw you fall???:biggrin:
    Man, thank goodness you're Ok, if you'd have posted a simple twig you'd still get the award for effort of the month! I really like the last one, very cool picture despite his wing damage and I always like the 12 spotted skimmer pics. I don't know how many spots ours have, but there are some really nice ones who always are on the move around here and I've never been able to get a lens on them and they are so cool looking when they are flying!
    All really nice shots and am so glad you're seemingly OK, but you better make sure you take the wife's advice on this one.
    Mend quick!

10. Hope you are feeling better Paul...

Beautiful captures, well done.

11. Oh no Paul! Hope you are well, do update us when you get a chance. These are excellent shots, I have really seen your dragon shots improve this season. Very fun to share this with you...

12. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Nice shots. #5 is my favorite. When the berries are ready, go back, pick some, and make a pie out of those bushes, and savor it. :biggrin:

13. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Jukka,
    When stuff like this occurs, its always my pride that takes the longest to heal.

Torben,
    Thanks for the info on the Darner. The sport of Exteme Photography is a killer. I told my wife, "If this kind of thing can happen when I am doing something safe... just think what I could do to myself doing something dangerous!"

Tom,
    I went to the Dr., he took X-rays and couldn't find anything broken. He said everything is just bruised pretty badly. So with the help of a couple litlle pills, (pain killers and muscle relaxers) I should be ok in a few days.

Tim,
    No body saw me fall.... and that could have been an issue.
    Glad you like the skimmer pictures, I have plenty I havent posted so it should hold me over a few days.

Thanks Jeff.

Rich,
    Looks like I will survive... nothing broken, just bad bruising. Thanks for your comments.

Gary,

Thanks for the comments. The pie idea is definately worth considering.

14. Great shots you got before your header into the bushes! Glad you are recovering.

15. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Birgit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.