Dragon Hunt today 07-07-2008

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Had a pretty good day out on the hunt....

The last two images are the best of the day. This is the first time I have seen him.

Torben, since you told that damsel jokes the other day and it seemed to work for you... I tried playing with a Pondhawk.... we settled on "Hide and Go Seek" She lost...

1. Western Pondhawk - Female

[​IMG]

2. Western Pondhawk - Female

[​IMG]

3. Widow Skimmer - Male

[​IMG]

4. Widow Skimmer - Male

[​IMG]

5. Widow Skimmer - Male

[​IMG]

6. Twelve Spotted Skimmer - Male

[​IMG]

7. Twelve Spotted Skimmer - Male

[​IMG]

8. Blue Dasher - Male

[​IMG]

9. Blue Dasher - Male

[​IMG]

And Finally.... The Best Of The Day!

10. Western River Cruiser, Macromia magnifica

[​IMG]

11. Western River Cruiser, Macromia magnifica

[​IMG]

2. You're right # 11 is the best. I have a soft spot for cruisers. #2 & #7 are very nice, too.

Cheers,

Larry

3. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    #1, best creative effort...really nice artsy shot.

4. Excellent set Paul, I really see some improvement in your captures of these wonderful creatures. You have quite a nice variety of them available to you as well!

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Larry,
    Thanks. #11 is actually the first cruiser I have been able to photograph. According to everything I have read, its the only type of cruiser in Oregon.

Jeff,
    #1 was fun to shoot. When I tried to approach the Pondhawk it took off and landed in a tree. As you can see, it wasn't too dificult to find. The dragon kept peeking over the leaf to see where I was.

Thank Rich. I have been paying more attention to technique... it's evolving. It keeps amazing me how many types there are around here.

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    You've been busy. All are beautiful but I love the Western pondhawk in #1 and 2. Hide and seek is a very often played game between me and the Imperator.

The last shot is magnificent. I especially enjoyed it because I don't see many dragonflies from streaming waters as I have to travel quite a bit for them.

7. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Torben,
    Glad you like them. The Pondhawks actually do seem playful.

It's pretty easy for me to get away for an hour or two. My wife is great, very understanding. The spot I shoot most of these at, is about 5 min. from my house.

The River Cruiser was bit suprising, he was a little ways from the river. Although there are two fairly good sized rivers very close by, the Willamette, which runs down the West side of town, and the Santiam which is about 10 minutes from here.

8. amazing man, gj!

9. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    Wonderful series. Great lighting and detail.