1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragon ID Please

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by raian, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Go this one this morning. I've not seen this color before around my parts. Wondering what he/she is.

337973694_W69T6-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. trwigg

trwigg

Jul 11, 2008
    texas
    NIce shot. May I ask what lens you used to get this shot? I am new to photography and am very intrigued with shooting dragonfly's. Thank you.

3. I actually used my 70-300. Wasn't intending to shoot dragonflies, but came upon this guy and started firing ;) 

4. Linda - no clue what that is (I'll leave it up to the better experts than I) but I love the shot :) 

Tim - there are plenty of excellent dragonfly photographers here - you shouldn't have any problem finding tips and tricks - check out the posts from Spectre, tojor or j.ankanpaa as far as excellent dragon/damsel photography.

5. Thanks Paul.
    I'm really enjoying getting dragonfly shots, like it almost as much as photographing birds.

6. I've been searching on google. I think this may be a yellow-sided skimmer? Am I correct?

7. yeah - I'd go with that - looks like it to me (after a quick internet search)

Libellula flavida
    Yellow-sided%20Skimmer_2005-06-18-0039.jpg

8. Thanks Paul.
    How do you tell the sex? I'm just learning so forgive my ignorance of such things.

9. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Linda,
    This does appear to be a Yellow-Sided Skimmer. There is also the remote chance it is a Spangled Skimmer however, they are found more to the NW side of the state. You being in Charleston, more than likely it is a Yellow-Sided. You can tell by the coloring and markings that it is a Female. The Male of this species (assuming Yellow-Sided) is a blue color similar to faded denim unless it is a very young, immature male, which can be mistaken for a female.

The one main reason that I have a lingering question as to the identity is that Yellow-Sided Skimmers have an amber color to the leading edge of the wings, which I don't see in your image.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  10. I agree Paul - but in her shot it's hard to see the leading edge of the wings to see if it does have the amber stripe - the rest of the markings seem spot on as well as the colors.

and Linda - FYI - the male looks like this
    Yellow-sided%20Skimmer_2005-06-18-0020.jpg

11. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Paul,
    That's what I meant to say.... The amber coloring may be there, just really difficult to tell from that image..... but then again, it may not be there!:tongue:

12. I see the amber edge on the wing. I think it's there, but it is hard to tell with the position of the wings, they are somewhat folded on top of one another.

I see those males around. I thought they were the blue darters.

I'm learning so much this summer with dragonflys. Thanks!!!

13. I'll look it up in my new Stokes beginners guid I bought tonight. only book they had at the borders

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.