Dragonflies and the 4ft heart attack.

2 dragon shots from the last few days. Shooting handheld in the brush chasing one when I heard a rustle in the brush just off my left shoulder.

Having hunted all of my life, I knew better than to move quickly which paid off. I had to s l o w l y take off the tube to get a shot, but how often does something cool sneak up on you?

I dropped the tube, took a couple of shots and scared it off so I could untangle and put everything back together.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And the heart attack -

Attachments

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
And to think I was about to see about coming and shooting with you! NOT!

YIKES!

Images #2 and #3 are excellent!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice captures, Chad, but isn't that just a black snake?

I would never have heard it. :eek:
Thanks Jim! Yep, we call them Racers. I was in a bramble that was about 10ft at its peak on the edge of a swamp. It either got too high and fell or struck at something and missed because it made some racket.

And to think I was about to see about coming and shooting with you! NOT!

YIKES!

Images #2 and #3 are excellent!
Thanks Karen! They are quite harmless, just a bit startling sometimes when you don't see them until you are close.

They also have rattlesnakes and moccasins down there. :m69:
The rattlesnakes are not so bad as they generally warn you. The moccasins are a real PITA because they can be a bit more aggressive. But the scary ones are the copperheads - they are everywhere, silent and blend in very well.

Sometimes I spend weeks seeking snakes, what a lucky man. Looks like a garter snake.

It was a black race around 3 1/2ft long and was definitely a lucky shot. I see water snakes, moccasins and copperheads all of the time

Chad, great shots you have here. How could you get so close in #1 without the tube? They are all quite amazing:eek:

Thanks Jacob! I shot the dragons with a Nikon PN-11/Zeiss 100. As you point out, there is no way to get those without it. I took the tube off to shoot the snake.

First shot is amazing. Was there a heavy crop on that one with your D7100? That looks like it would be in the 3x range or more if you didn't crop in. Regardless, the quality is amazing.

First shot is amazing. Was there a heavy crop on that one with your D7100? That looks like it would be in the 3x range or more if you didn't crop in. Regardless, the quality is amazing.
Thanks Nate! I was shooting with a PN-11, so its 1:1. The thing is that he D7100 as a DX is giving me 1.5x and has such good resolution that its scary. Couple that with the Zeiss and you can crop for days. The Zeiss is amazingly sharp wide open and has no issues at all from f2.8 down. I was looking for a Nikon 200 micro, but have honestly begun to rethink that. I have also noticed that the combo is very bright through the viewfinder which makes it easy to focus at full extension.

But back to your question, I cropped it so that the detail would be seen at "posting size", I have noticed that many of the shots look incredible on my monitor, but by the time I get them posted, the detail is gone. The scary part is that I could honestly crop it more... The uncropped version is below and to see it larger look here.

Excellent work (as usual), Chad...! :cool:

That Zeiss is working splendidly and you're really getting good with it...! :smile:
Thanks William! Its an incredible lens and surprisingly user friendly.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom