Dragonflies in-flight

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Tim Z, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Not sure if Dragonflies are considered macro here, but here we go. :smile:

Last August I was down at the local marsh photographing shorebirds, when I noticed these male Paddle-tailed Darners hovering all over the place. So I figured I would leave the birds for awhile and see if I could catch them in flight.

Nikon D70s with Nikkor 300 f4 AFS
    SB-800 in camera Hotshoe
    ISO 200 at f5.6 & 1/500 sec
    Manfrotto ART 055 tripod

Cheers

Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I am really impressed.

I would not even know where to start to capture dragonflies, let along do it so well...sharp, crisp...amazing!

3. Good job on those Tim, there some of the best inflight dragons that I have seen.

Martin

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just beautiful.

heehee I have one dragonfly :>)))

5. Well done. Looks like you did some cool processing to achieve this look??

6. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Amazing , Ive never tried catching one in flight ,but I would expect it to be pretty difficult , you did a fine job on these.

7. Great job Tim...:biggrin: super shots / difficult capture

8. Nice job Tim. Do you find the 300/4 hunts madly when shooting small targets like the dragonflies?

9. Actually there is almost no post processing here, just a bit of a crop and contrast, gamma & sharpening adjustments. This is basically how they look out of the D70S. :smile:

Cheers

Tim

10. Hi Rory

Yes, in this case the 300 f/4 did have to hunt a bit to AF on these. But remember they were hovering and not zooming around a high speeds. They would hover in one spot for a few seconds, so I had some time to center and focus. I was working from about 6 to 10 feet for these. For dragonflies that are perched, I don't find the 300 f4 has to hunt much at all.

Can't wait for dragonfly season again tin 2006. :smile: Apparently there are over 65 species on Vancouver Island. I had no idea, and only caught about 8 of them this year.

t

11. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Wow, never thought a picture of a bug could look so good! Great job Tim!

12. Me too. I shot some similar to yours last year with my 300/4. I am hoping the 300VR will work well. I am also considering a multiple flash setup. All I am missing at this point is the models...

13. Wow! Fantastic shots, Tim! These are incredible!

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Tim,

What amazing shots! My imagination makes them look like helicopters... I am impressed with them and you using the D70 and the 300F/4.

Gaye

15. Very nice images, in fact that doesn't do them justice, they are outstanding.

16. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Incredible shots (or has someone already told you that?)!

17. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Those are good, Tim. Really good. I've attempted some shots like these,without success.

18. Thank you all for the kind words :redface:

I may try again next year, but this time use something like f11 for a bit more DOF.

Cheers

Tim

19. Wow, impressive! :biggrin:

I've tried this before and got nothing but blurred or OOF images...I take off my hat to you.

Ming

20. Hi Tim!

Excellent. 10 stars out of five!!!
    clapsmiley.

I have also tried to shoot dragons in-flight but not much success. But then again I was trying it with Tamron 90mm + 1.4x TC and manual focusing :smile:

What is the minimum focusing distance with your 300mm af-s? Maybe I should
    try this next summer with 80-200 af-d 2.8... It´s long time to wait though:frown:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2005