Dragonfly (Eastern Pondhawk female)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, May 20, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Not too exciting, but it seems to be in focus?

[​IMG]

My best,
    Jerry Snider

2. With dragonflies like this, and your avatar, I am going to have to come to Canada.
    Just look at those eyes and all those facets. No wonder they are the king of aerial acrobatics. Having said that, we have to birds in the UK,(migrants), that can catch them with ease. The Hobby and Red Footed Falcon. I see these in Cornwall and although I curse when they catch one of my favourite insects, I can only marvel at their expertise.

BW. Bob F

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    That's nice. It's sharp and your composition is good. Well done!

4. Pretty neat Jerry. Seems they always want to fly off before I can get a shot like this.

5. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Gordon,
    Find an area where dragonflies are rather numerous and watch their behavior. Note where they land (stem, bush, rock, etc.) and you will observe that they commonly return to the identical spot. I sometimes crawl right into the bush :roll: stand or sit, and wait. Works almost every time (watch out for poison ivy, creepy crawly things, weird looks, etc. :( ) I frequently use my Nikon 80-200 zoom with a 5T diopter (on a reducer ring) so I can "crop" without having to move, then fire away! One DOES need a bit or working distance otherwise they will shy away.
    My best,
    Jerry Snider

6. This is really good advice. A lot of the 'Darters and Skimmers' have perches, and if you sit by one then you become part of their environment and consequently they will ignore you.

BW. Bob F.

7. This is my problem. They are not numerous anyplace where I live. That's what I get for living in the desert. Perhaps I can do that when I travel to other more inviting climes.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jerry, why in the world do you think that this is not exciting....??!? 8)

This is an excellent capture. It is very exciting to me, especially since you got it with a lens similar to what I have. I think I'll go out and see if I can find something even remotely as good. :wink:

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Frank,
    You should do very well with these kinds of "bugs" in your neighborhood. However, you are going to have to THINK a lot smaller than those nice birds you shoot!! A tough thing to do. I lead (or used to at least) lots of groups on nature hikes, etc. But the organisms I work with are so small that it was always difficult to get these folks to think "small". They seem to want to hike 2-3 miles and look at the big conspicuous stuff whereas I wanted to crawl a 100 yards or so (on hands and knees) to see hundreds of tiny things!
    Seriously though, I shoot what I see, while others shoot exquisite art!! You folks have a lot of talent.
    Jerry Snider

10. Jerry............uuuhhhhh.......that's a very excitingly (is that a word?) detailed picture!! Well done!! :D :D :D :D