Dragonfly (Eastern Pondhawk female)

Not too exciting, but it seems to be in focus?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My best,
Jerry Snider

With dragonflies like this, and your avatar, I am going to have to come to Canada.
Just look at those eyes and all those facets. No wonder they are the king of aerial acrobatics. Having said that, we have to birds in the UK,(migrants), that can catch them with ease. The Hobby and Red Footed Falcon. I see these in Cornwall and although I curse when they catch one of my favourite insects, I can only marvel at their expertise.

BW. Bob F

Gordon,
Find an area where dragonflies are rather numerous and watch their behavior. Note where they land (stem, bush, rock, etc.) and you will observe that they commonly return to the identical spot. I sometimes crawl right into the bush :roll: stand or sit, and wait. Works almost every time (watch out for poison ivy, creepy crawly things, weird looks, etc. :( ) I frequently use my Nikon 80-200 zoom with a 5T diopter (on a reducer ring) so I can "crop" without having to move, then fire away! One DOES need a bit or working distance otherwise they will shy away.
My best,
Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider said:
Gordon,
Find an area where dragonflies are rather numerous and watch their behavior.
This is my problem. They are not numerous anyplace where I live. That's what I get for living in the desert. Perhaps I can do that when I travel to other more inviting climes.

Jerry Snider said:
Not too exciting, but it seems to be in focus?
Jerry, why in the world do you think that this is not exciting....??!? 8)

This is an excellent capture. It is very exciting to me, especially since you got it with a lens similar to what I have. I think I'll go out and see if I can find something even remotely as good. :wink:

Frank,
You should do very well with these kinds of "bugs" in your neighborhood. However, you are going to have to THINK a lot smaller than those nice birds you shoot!! A tough thing to do. I lead (or used to at least) lots of groups on nature hikes, etc. But the organisms I work with are so small that it was always difficult to get these folks to think "small". They seem to want to hike 2-3 miles and look at the big conspicuous stuff whereas I wanted to crawl a 100 yards or so (on hands and knees) to see hundreds of tiny things!
Seriously though, I shoot what I see, while others shoot exquisite art!! You folks have a lot of talent.
Jerry Snider

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom