Dragonfly - Erythemis collocata female

My first post.
A dragonfly, Erythemis collocata female
Shot with a Nikon d810, Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 5x infinity microscope objective mounted on a 200mm Micro-Nikkor, f4@1/60, ISO64, 160 shots focus stacked using a StackShot, processed with Zerene Stacker and Photoshop.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
STUNNING! What amazing sharpness and details! I'm certainly looking forward to more images from you!

Welcome to NikonCafe!

A male Erythemis collocata. The males emerge resembling the females closely. As they become sexually mature their eyes turn this wonderful shade of blue and their thorax and abdomen slowly become covered with a waxy, powder blue substance called pruinosity, that completely obscures the underlying color patterns. They are very territorial and prefer landing flat on the ground.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Brilliant results.
Please can you explain your setup, and even better a photo of it.
I don't understand how that lens is combined with the use of the Nikon lens?
Is a microscope being used?
Or a bellows?
What magnification are you getting with that photo? Or to put it more practically, how many mm across is the photo capturing?

My various attempts at photographing things about 4mm across have been quite poor.

Brilliant results.
Please can you explain your setup, and even better a photo of it.
I don't understand how that lens is combined with the use of the Nikon lens?
Is a microscope being used?
Or a bellows?
What magnification are you getting with that photo? Or to put it more practically, how many mm across is the photo capturing?

My various attempts at photographing things about 4mm across have been quite poor.
Thank you.
My system uses "infinity" microscope objectives which need a relay or tube lens between the objective and the microscope eyepiece or the camera sensor. This is different from the normal microscope most of us are familiar with that just has a hollow tube between the lens and eyepiece.

My Mitutoyo objectives were designed to work with a 200mm tube lens and they are screwed right onto the front utilizing adapter rings to fit the filter threads.

Note the engraved infinity symbol and f=200. LWD means "long working distance."

I took the post from a garage sale beginners darkroom enlarger and mounted it on an aluminum plate. My Cognisys StackShot is mounted to the carriage for the enlarger head and the camera and lens is attached vertically to the StackShot. I have a number of precision stages for positioning the subject in XY axis and the StackShot positions the camera and lens system in the Z axis. The 200mm lens is focused at infinity and the aperture is left wide open.

I know this image is pretty cluttered but it gives you the basic idea.

Some stackers use continuous light, but I have had the best luck with flash since vibration at high magnification is a major problem.

The camera body is attached to continuous power rather than batteries, and the StackShot controller (the little silver box with the blue window on the right). The controller fires the camera at preset intervals. The camera is also connected to the computer via USB2 (USB3 gave me errors). I use a program called "ControlMyNikon" so I can use live view and control all the camera setting. I wish I could find another program because this one has some irritating flaws. Zerene Stacker has a StackShot control module that is easy to use to control the positioning of the camera for each shot.

Magnification is determined by the ratio between the actual size of the subject and the size of the image on the sensor. At 5x a 7.13mm subject will fit the long side of the D810 sensor, at 10x a 3.53mm subject, and at 20x a 1.76mm subject.

Really interesting! I'll bet this is a far cry from your first camera set up!
Oh yeah. My first was a Nikon F mounted on an old Bausch & Lomb student microscope. You could lock the mirror up to help cut shutter vibrations.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thank you, this is very helpful indeed.
I am now busy studying this whole subject as I currently get only low quality results when going beyond 1:1. I already have several bits of equipment, some of which will help me get started.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Impressive equipment, Steve. Featuring the picture was very well deserved!

But one question: Which kind of narcotics do you use on the dragonflies? :D:D:D

Kind regards
Klaus

Absolutely brilliant work here.
Welcome to the Cafe indeed. Waitaminute!!! (?), your profile says you've been a member for over ten years! First post?! Don't be shy, this is amazing stuff.

Absolutely brilliant work here.
Welcome to the Cafe indeed. Waitaminute!!! (?), your profile says you've been a member for over ten years! First post?! Don't be shy, this is amazing stuff.
Thanks!
Yep, I lurked here for a bit.

Absolutely breathtaking shot and thanks for all of the technical data as to how you did it. Stunning photograph of something so common. Mother nature amazes me every day, today is yours...thanks!!!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom