1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragonfly ID Help

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by photofox, Jul 9, 2008.

1. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    A few from the garden today, found this Dragonfly (ID help appreciated) resting on a fern branch. C&C appreciated. Thanks in advance. :) 

YellowBrownDragonSide.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

YellowBrownDragon.jpg

YellowBrownDragonFront.jpg

2. I know what I think it is but without knowing where "over here" is I won't say. There are species in Europe and other places which look similar to North American species and similar but different species on the E. and W. sides of North America, so .......

Larry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    I would guess it is some sort of Meadowhawk (Sympetrum).

As Larry said, not knowing where you are, could really affect the ID accuracy, as a lot of these species appear very similar.

4. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    Oops, sorry about that. I'm in Northern California.

5. In that case I'll call it a Variegated meadowhawk (female). Nice shots, BTW

Cheers,

Larry

6. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    My guess would be the Variegated Meadowhawk (Sympetrum corruptum). Larry may be a better resource, but thats my choice....

7. Nice set, Nigel!

Like #3 the best!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.