Dragonfly(?) ID needed

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Aug 1, 2005.

1. I put this down as a dragonfly, but I'm not sure. It might be a damsel fly or something else. I suspect Bob the Spider Man or Harry S or someone else might be able to tell us the differences. The knowledge base available here is astounding!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For info, the above are cropped, here is the full frame view of the second one taken with D-100 70-200AFS-VR + 1.7TC at 340mm. Just about at the closest natural focus point (no close up adapter)
    [​IMG]

Bob & Nan

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That dragon is pretty. Pretty great view all versions.

Good job.

So nice to see you having so much fun with the new tools.

3. It is a bit difficult as it is an American species and I do not know them very well, BUT, if it was in Europe then I would say straight away that it is a skimmer from the family Orthetrum and probably O. coerulescens.
    I think that if you did a web search for Dragonflies of Northe America and or your state then you may find the answer there.
    hope this helps.

Bob F.

4. What Bob forgot is to answer your actual question. It's quite easy to separate dragons from damsels. It's the wing position when resting. Yours is a dragon fly (wings spread while resting), damsel flies fold their wings above the body.
    Heck, I don't know how to put this in proper English :x
    Maybe Bob can chime in again and put things right for me.
    Cheers

5. No need to. Harry has it spot on.
    Wings at right angles etc to the body = dragonfly
    Winds lying parallel along the body = damselfly.
    There is the odd exception. Genus - Lestes, the Emeralds, but they are the exception.

BW. Bob F.

6. Hi Bob The Spider Man & Harry B,

I somehow figured you would be able to help explain the differences. It is usually easy once you know what to look for.

I tried a few sites to see if I could make a good ID as you suggested. Most of the images posted are shot from above, looking like collected dead specimens. Hard to compare with my 3/4 front view.
    I think you guys could make a good living taking photos of these critters. Most of the dragonfly website images look like they were taken with an disposable camera with a plastic lens and a coke bottle bottom as a magnifier. My images posted here are not very good, but better than 2/3 of the ones on the sites where I was trying to compare. Your avatars here are much more detailed than the full size images on these dragonfly websites!

Thanks again for your help.
    Bob