1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragonfly love.... Mature Audiences Please

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Went out to see what was flying today. There were an uncommonly large amount of Spotted skimmers out this A.M. In fact for some time, that's all that were around.... not quite sure what was going on. I wandered around for an hour or so before I saw anything else.

1. Blue Eyed Darners - Feeling Frisky

[​IMG]

2. Widow Skimmer Male

[​IMG]

3. Widow Skimmer Female

[​IMG]

4. Blue Dasher Male

[​IMG]

5. Eight Spotted Skimmer Male

[​IMG]

6. Western Pondhawk Female - Notice the Wing Missing

[​IMG]

2. Very nice, Paul!

You don´t often see Aeshidae mating... o-o-o-r-r-r-r... actually you can sometimes see that, but you dont often get a change to photograph them...so, very well done! :smile:

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Jukka,

I was standing watching some other dragons when these two Aeshidae flew by and grabbed this limb about 6 feet from me. They let me shoot some images, they seperated and off they went. This was actually the first time I was able to shoot the Blue Eyed Darner. I have shot the California and the Common Green Darner, but these are the first Blue Eyed.

4. Excellent shots. I like the 4th one.

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Great catch Paul. Looks like the mating couple found a nice place for you to take their picture. I love seeing pics of the female Western Pondhawk. Beautiful green.

6. Beautiful shots. An inspiration.

7. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Vinh.

Thanks Torben,
    I agree, they found a great place. It was one of those things where I just stood completely still when I saw them coming, and they chose a branch really close. If you want more female Pondhawk shots, let me know.... I have plenty.:biggrin:

Thanks Harry.... usually my photos are a deterent instead of an inspiration!:biggrin:

8. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you.

9. Counter

Counter

Sep 18, 2007
    London
    Very nice work Spectre

10. excellent, paul
    what a wonderful series

11. trwigg

trwigg

Jul 11, 2008
    texas
    Spectre, Those are great shots! I am new here and am just fascinated by the dragon fly shots that I have seen on here. How do you capture these shots and what equipment do you use to get them? Thanks for your time.

12. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Tim,
    I use a D300 with a wired shutter release w/ 300mm AF-S lens mounted on a tripod using manual focus. I go "hunting" the dragonflies and find them when they perch. Sometimes I spot them already perched but most of the time I will watch and wait.... and wait..... and wait... until they decide to land. Once they land, I approach them very slowly. Usually any sudden movements will scare them away.

13. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Counter.

Thanks Greg.

14. Paul,
    still trying to snag any shot that approaches your quality. These threads got me interested in these insects in the first place as something more than just noticing them when I am out and about. Although your images could well be my field guide to many do you or any others have a field guide to recommend? I guess specifically I'd prefer USA or at least North America.

15. Paul, these images are phenomenal. From your profile I assume you took these with your 105mm macro. Can you let us know your camera/lens settings? Did you use flash?

16. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon

Thanks for the compliment.

Actually, I don't have a field guide and I'm not sure what to suggest. I had (have) the same problem. Because I couldn't find a good guide that didn't cost a fortune. The book listed "here" has received really good reviews... but I couldn't tell you first hand. Eventually, this will be the book I get.

Hope this helps....

17. jerry, Pauls equipment used was two posts up.

Thanks Paul, I will check that book out

18. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Jerry,
    Thank you...
    Actually I shot these with the 300mm AF-s, No flash, Manual focus, tripod mounted D300 w/wireless shutter release. Camera set to Aperture priority, f/7.1 to f/11 on average.

I initially started out with the 105 macro, but it didn't give me enough working distance. The great Dragon shooters here (Torben and Jukka ) put me on the right track with the 300mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.