Dragonfly photo

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Green, Jul 15, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  2. _Jorge_

_Jorge_

Jul 3, 2007
    Thailand
    Can't see your pic (don't know why) but visited your gallery and saw your awesome macro shots. Thanks for sharing.

3. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Very nice Jerry.

4. Wow, that is a very pretty Dragon.

Alex

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gold and greens go nice in this image

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautiful shot. The dragonfly is very pretty. Awesome colors.

7. That is a spectacular dragonfly.

I think it is a Pennant. Celithemis amanda or Amanda's Pennant.

Bob F.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  8. Beautiful shot, Jerry. I love the colors.

9. Do a Google search on Celithemis eponina and Celithemis amanda and you will see a difference. The Celithemis eponina (Brown-spotted Yellow-wing) has yellow wings, banded and spotted with brown and the Celithemis amanda (Amanda's Pennant) has clear wings with a fairly large multi-colored basal wing patch. Thanks for checking on the ID. I am trying to learn insect ID and can use all the help I can get.

10. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Jerry, Is it a Halloween pennant?

11. Nice detail in the wings.

12. Holloween pennant is another common name for it. I used the common name of Brown-spotted Yellow-wing that is in the the National Audubon Society Field Guide. My Entomologist and Botanist friends recommend the use of scientific names to avoid the confusion of the common names which vary by locality.

13. I hate common names, but not everybody has the necessary knowledge to use them.

Thanks for correcting my ID. There are a lot of Odonata in the USA and sometimes I have a stab at them when nothing is posted.

Best wishes.

Bob F. Cornwall UK

14. lexygirl

lexygirl

Aug 21, 2006
    Alabama
    The colors in the dragonfly are very close to the color in the leaves. Ain't nature wonderful!

15. That's just beautiful. I'm not a bug girl, but I had to take a peek at the dragonfly. TFS!