1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragonfly Pond and A Few More Dragons

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by OHcorgis, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Technically, these were all taken with my 200mm f/4 micro lens. I just wanted to share with you the pond where I take most of my dragon shots. These were taken mid afternoon, bad time for landscape, good time for active dragons. Note the little turtle. Horseshoe Pond is in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Peninsula Ohio.

2708177257_7a5903e460_b.

View attachment 227918

Slaty Skimmer (Libellula incesta) with what looks to be someone's leftovers on the branch.

View attachment 227919

Bluedasher (Pachydiplax longipennis)

View attachment 227920

Male Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa) I don't know why some are brown and some are bluish.

View attachment 227921

And lastly, Thistles growing near the pond.

View attachment 227922

2. Very nice shots, Birgit!

Also great to see your pond!

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    What a beautiful pond you have acces to. Beautiful shots too.

4. Thank you. The pond shots would have been better with a wide angle lens in morning or evening and not the 200 micro in mid afternoon:rolleyes:  I really need to go to some other ponds, I think I might find some different dragons species.

5. Birgit, the dragons are nice, but I really love that final shot of the thistles...

6. tamplum

tamplum

Feb 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    I love your shots. I just discovered the love of the Dragons this weekend. Are they not the prettiest and underappreciated little creatures.

7. Thanks. They are really interesting aren't they? As long as they are not in my own garden.

I think as you can see by this board, Dragonflies/Damsels have got to be addicting. I decided that is it their faces and beauty that captivate us.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.