Dragonfly with a suprise

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Baretoes, Jul 31, 2007.

1. This little guy let me get close to photograph him the other day. He kept comming back to perch on the same stick. Tamron DI 90mm, 1/160s, f10, iso200, handheld.

[​IMG]

While processing, I noticed an imperfection on his left side. Looks like some kind of a defect or indentation. Maybe that is why I was able to get so close. Here is a 100% crop.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,

Rob

2. Very nice shot, Rob!

That´s a very interesting bumb, indeed... No idea what could have cause it, maybe during the emergence as the eye doesn´t seem to be "broken" (their bodies are very soft right after emergence) so probably not a bird doings...

But I don´t think that has nothing to do letting you close, it´s just one of those territorial species so they´ll always come back...

3. great pic...nice and sharp....like d eye, so are u saying he did not see u?? david ps better call macco

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Nice shot Rob! Looks like we both have the same species of dragons in our backyards.

5. Thanks for the comments.

Yes Mark...it seems NC and Va do share the same dragons. Your pictures are nice.

David, lol! about Macco...a little of bondo and air brushing and he will be as good as new.

Rob

6. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I agree that it is probably a defect that occurred during emergence. Either the eye could not expand properly or it had a bump while not hard. Over the last month most dragonflies and damselflies I have photographed have had somewhat deformed wings, due I suspect to the unusually heavy rain. I guess it is also possible that deformed ones are less agile, and hence easier to stalk.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pretty shot

8. Cool capture Rob.

Alex

9. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Very well done shots, interesting defect as you pointed out. Great detail and I like the color. - Jeff