Dragonfly

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Shrek, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Shrek

Shrek

Jul 1, 2005
    Kansas City
    I took this photo this earlier this year and just finally got around to doing something with it. I am hoping someone on this forum can help me out with making it more interesting. I am thinking of a different crop but don't have any idea on what kind of crop would make this look any better. If a different crop won't make it look better does anyone have any ideas on what would?

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Gil,

I dare to say that this is the most beautiful image of a dragonfly that I ever seen.

It works extremely well for me, judging from the blurred background, the position of the insect itself on the leaf, the smart use of DOF, everything.

Thanks for sharing this one.

Regards,

Roberto

3. Shrek

Shrek

Jul 1, 2005
    Kansas City
    Wow and I just thought it was at best a mediocre picture of a dragonfly.

Thanks for the compliment.

I guess I don't need to do anything different then. Not quite used to that.

Again thanks,

Gil

4. Hi Gil --

I lived in Kansas City as a kid. I know I wouldn't recognize it now!!

I liked your dragonfly photo. I love photographing insects and think that dragonflies are just beautiful.

I probably would crop your dragonfly photo to give the photo a bit more drama. And I probably would do a very minor touch up on the hot spots along the top of the grass stalk and along the dragonfly's body.
    Then I might de-emphasize some of the background brightness so as to make that interesting looped shadow work in the composition. The eye would then travel from the dragonfly's head, along its wing, down to the looped shadow, across to that lighter area behind the insect, and then along the other wing to return to the head/starting_point.

What do you think of this???
    [​IMG]

5. Not to get too hung up on rules, but in this case, I think Andrea's example of modified composition definitely improves an already very nice shot!

6. Yep, Kevin -- rules are made to be broken, as they say. Except for when the rule works pretty well. LOL.
    I did like seeing this fine dragonfly have a more prominent & commanding perch in the photo.

7. Shrek

Shrek

Jul 1, 2005
    Kansas City
    Andrea,

Thanks for the critique. Your version looks a lot better than my original post. I have made the changes to my photo and like it better. I knew there was something that it needed. Again, Thanks.

8. Shrek

Shrek

Jul 1, 2005
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the complements Kevin and Andrea.