Dragonfly

I agree with Larry - you have the comp down. The exif is not there, so if you want suggestions on how to get them sharp, post your settings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with Larry - you have the comp down. The exif is not there, so if you want suggestions on how to get them sharp, post your settings.
Hey guys, I'm new to this website and to photography. I travel all over the country in my big rig and always see some beautiful things. I've been reading on this site and watching vids on youtube trying to learn a few things.
In this picture I was not using the right lens,
D90
50mm
1/3000
F/1.8
I have photoshop Elements 11, still trying to learn that also.
Chad, your pics looks amazing, I was switching back and forth between mine and yours and couldn't believe the difference. Everyone has a lot of great pics on here.

You'll get a sharper image if you stop your lens down to f5.6 to f11. You'll still have a high enough shutter speed for a 50 mm lens. D90 should be good with an ISO to 800 if you need a higher shutter speed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You'll get a sharper image if you stop your lens down to f5.6 to f11. You'll still have a high enough shutter speed for a 50 mm lens. D90 should be good with an ISO to 800 if you need a higher shutter speed.
Thanks, I thought in bright sun light you needed to keep iso low, I will bump it up some. I was trying to get blur background, I'll move that up too, thanks again.

You're right; keep ISO as low as possible. What I was trying to say was boost it if you can't get the shutter speed and aperture you want/need.

Larry

Larry is spot on - shoot at f11-f16, at least 1/60th (unless you need faster for wind, etc.) and if you have to raise the ISO, raise it. You have to decide which of the three you want to sacrifice sometimes, and with close-ups in decent light you need the DOF more than the low ISO. You will never need to shoot at 1/3000 for a resting dragon.

Exactly as Larry and Chad suggested...

You don't need to worry about blurring the background in macro... In macro you are shooting much
closer to your subject than you would for portraits... The closer to the subject the smaller the DOF
so when shooting macro the challenge is getting your whole subject sharp and within the DOF...

The technique for shooting macro is the exact opposite from the technique for shooting portrait... The
biggest challenge (aside from enough DOF) is getting enough light on your subject to keep shutter
speed high enough to prevent motion/shake blur... With small apertures (to increase DOF) you
either need to increase the amount of light (flash can help sometimes) or raise the ISO... In the
image above you didn't need 1/3000 of a second... You could have done fine somewhere in the
100ths of a second range (or lower depending on how steady you or the subject are) rather than
in the 1000ths of a second range...

It's all a balance/compromise... The more you do it the more experience you will gain and the
better your intuition will become as to what to do under certain conditions... It's all digital so
there is no cost no matter how many shots you take... Try different apertures, shutter speeds,
light sources and ISO combinations... Don't just take one shot of a bug or flower, take 10 or
20 or 30 trying different settings and then analyze them later to see the differences... In time
what to do it will start to become almost second nature...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom