1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragonhunter and friends

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by fishbio, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Hi All

It's getting exciting in Whiteshell Provincial Park with more large dragonflies finally emerging. All pictures with 200mm f4, tripod, aperture priority. C&C always welcome.

The first Dragonhunters are on the wing. This Gomphid or clubtail dragonfly is over 3"/80mm long and eats anything it wants!

Hagenius brevistylus, female

2619376481_f0cdd184d1_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/11.0    1/80s    ISO 200

Here are a couple of relatives of the Dragonhunter. Telling them apart requires looking at the shape of the abdomen, which abdominal segments have yellow markings, how the side of the thorax is marked, and on males, what the "claspers" at the end of the abdomen look like:

Dusky Clubtail, Gomphus spicatus, male

2619377805_a38dce3b78_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/11.0    1/90s    ISO 200

Lancet clubtail, Gompus exilis

2620200852_f3b12a7cf6_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/8.0    1/200s    ISO 200

A dragon from a different family

Stream cruiser, Didympos transversa, male

2620202272_b780c7950c_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/11.0    1/60s    ISO 200

and from the large group of mosaic darners:

Canada darner, Aeshna canadensis, female

2619378203_9216b7110d_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/11.0    1/60s    ISO 200

2. Larry,
    what an awesome series
    just fantastic

i appreciate you sharing these with us

3. Wonderful shots, Larry. I find the colors and detail amazing. Dragon flies are certainly interesting creatures. Thanks for sharing them.

4. Hey fellow Winnipeger!

Nice finds and series, thought I was the only one here from Manitoba or Winnipeg.

Do you know the F. or shutter speed? It's always helpful not only for people here but so you can look back and see when you get one of those what went wrong shoots.

Anyway glad your having fun look forward to more posts.

Darrell

5. Great set Larry. Very sharp and beautiful captures.

6. Stunning series Larry! Glad you are seeing some action up there, after the winter y'all had, you deserve it. That is an awesome lens, and obviously in very capable hands.

7. Thanks for looking Greg, Tom, Darrell, Phil and Tom. I'm glad you like them. It can be really frustrating getting pictures of these guys, but when you nail one in focus from antennae to cerci, it's a great feeling.

Darrell: the EXIF data is intact in these pictures so you can extract the technical details. I'm contacting you off-line.

Cheers,

Larry

8. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Fantstic shots! What type of locatons should I find these insects?

9. Thank you.

Their larvae live in water, so ponds, marshes, swamps, lakes, fens, bogs streams, creeks and rivers are where you find them patrolling and laying eggs. They may wander far from water to feed (on other insects). I photograph them along small roads and trails in forested areas. Water is nevr too far away, though.

This morning I found quite a few in a city park along a river. The smaller damselflies are often near cattails, sedges or tall grass near water.

Cheers,

Larry

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Top drawer shots. I always love to see dragonflies from streaming waters as they are very rare in my part of the world. Great job. Love the aeshna too.

11. WOW!

Those are some serious Dragons! I would love to see those some day!

Excellent shooting, Larry!

12. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Larry,
    What a great set. I look forward to seeing more.

13. Thank you Torben, Jukka and Paul.

I went out today again I found 2 more "lifers" but obtained photos of only one :frown: I haven't looked at the pictures yet, I hope they are OK.

Cheers,

Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.