Dragonhunter and friends

Hi All

It's getting exciting in Whiteshell Provincial Park with more large dragonflies finally emerging. All pictures with 200mm f4, tripod, aperture priority. C&C always welcome.

The first Dragonhunters are on the wing. This Gomphid or clubtail dragonfly is over 3"/80mm long and eats anything it wants!

Hagenius brevistylus, female

2619376481_f0cdd184d1_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here are a couple of relatives of the Dragonhunter. Telling them apart requires looking at the shape of the abdomen, which abdominal segments have yellow markings, how the side of the thorax is marked, and on males, what the "claspers" at the end of the abdomen look like:

Dusky Clubtail, Gomphus spicatus, male

2619377805_a38dce3b78_o.jpg

Lancet clubtail, Gompus exilis

2620200852_f3b12a7cf6_o.jpg

A dragon from a different family

Stream cruiser, Didympos transversa, male

2620202272_b780c7950c_o.jpg

and from the large group of mosaic darners:

Canada darner, Aeshna canadensis, female

2619378203_9216b7110d_o.jpg

Hey fellow Winnipeger!

Nice finds and series, thought I was the only one here from Manitoba or Winnipeg.

Do you know the F. or shutter speed? It's always helpful not only for people here but so you can look back and see when you get one of those what went wrong shoots.

Anyway glad your having fun look forward to more posts.

Darrell

Stunning series Larry! Glad you are seeing some action up there, after the winter y'all had, you deserve it. That is an awesome lens, and obviously in very capable hands.

Thanks for looking Greg, Tom, Darrell, Phil and Tom. I'm glad you like them. It can be really frustrating getting pictures of these guys, but when you nail one in focus from antennae to cerci, it's a great feeling.

Darrell: the EXIF data is intact in these pictures so you can extract the technical details. I'm contacting you off-line.

Cheers,

Larry

Fantstic shots! What type of locatons should I find these insects?

Thank you.

Their larvae live in water, so ponds, marshes, swamps, lakes, fens, bogs streams, creeks and rivers are where you find them patrolling and laying eggs. They may wander far from water to feed (on other insects). I photograph them along small roads and trails in forested areas. Water is nevr too far away, though.

This morning I found quite a few in a city park along a river. The smaller damselflies are often near cattails, sedges or tall grass near water.

Cheers,

Larry

Top drawer shots. I always love to see dragonflies from streaming waters as they are very rare in my part of the world. Great job. Love the aeshna too.

Thank you Torben, Jukka and Paul.

I went out today again I found 2 more "lifers" but obtained photos of only one :frown: I haven't looked at the pictures yet, I hope they are OK.

Cheers,

Larry

Latest threads

Top Bottom