1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragons... another batch.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Spectre, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Well, once again these were shot earlier this year, but were worth showing again.... I think. Enjoy.

1.Eight Spotted Skimmer

[​IMG]

2.Blue Dasher

[​IMG]

3.Still Unknown

[​IMG]

4.Common Whitetail

[​IMG]

5.Pacific Clubtail

[​IMG]

6.Twelve Spotted Skimmer

[​IMG]

7.Widow Skimmer

[​IMG]

2. Awesome shots Paul, I am intrigued by your unidentified green monster in 3, that is fantastic!

3. The green one is my favorite too! He's beautiful!

4. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Rich, this one is the only one of these I have ever seen. At first I thought it was just an immature Pondhawk Female... but the more I looked, I realized it is something entirely different. I'm just not sure what.

Thanks Sonya.

5. Very nice images... I like each and every one.

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent series Paul. All very good. Love the eyes of that Clubtail. BTW. I think the green one is a she.

7. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    Wow! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous when I see such beautifull pics We only have a few species and look at what you got. I love the green one even in its surrounding wich I normally would find a bit distracting.

cheers, Mark

8. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks Tom.

Thanks Torben. The Clubtail does have amazing blue eyes. I was thinking the same thing about the green one being a female.

Thanks Mark. In the area where I shoot these, I was able to find 13 different species this year. I was pretty happy.

9. Very nice shots, Paul!

The green one is really nice looking, looks like a teneral female...

10. leaders

leaders

Aug 25, 2008
    Alabama
    Beautiful images. #3 may be an immature Green Darner female.

981946744_aa98bab0ef.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

11. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Jukka,
    I agree.... I'm just not sure what it is. It has the body of some type of Sympetrum. There are faint color patterns on the abdomen, I would have liked to see it mature. This Dragon was also really small. If you look at the size compared to the grass that it is on and the Dandelion in the background you can get a sense of scale.

Jim,
    Thank you for the suggestion, however..... The Green Darner is in the Aeshna family, this is definately not an Aeshna. My thought is that it is part of the Sympetrum family of Skimmers.... or another type of skimmer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.