1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragons at lunch - added breakfast, brunch and dinner!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by fishbio, Jul 10, 2008.

1. We all know that dragonflies are extremely effective predators. I've seen them eating everything from tiny beetles to White admiral butterflies to bald-faced hornets! Here are a couple having lunch.

Cheers,

Larry

1. A clubtail (Gomphus sp.) munches on a beetle

2656770524_5cffc76e16_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. A Four-spotted skimmer (Libelulla quadrimaculata) chows down on a Virginia ctenucha (moth)

2656770262_0ff410e36a_o.jpg

3. Dragonhunter (Hagenius brevistylus) eating a Northern pearly-eye

2657540796_49bd7b97dc_o.jpg

4. Lake darner (Aeshna erimita) devouring a Bald-faced hornet

2657540970_e5379163d1_o.jpg

5. A Whiteface (Leucorrhinia) interrupts a tender moment, eating a male damsel still attached to the female!

2657540586_7715b8fd1b_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Great shots Larry. Dragonflies are fierce hunters. I saw a Libelulla quadrimaculata catching and eating an immature Sympetrum sanguineum (Ruddy Darter) a few days ago.

3. Great shots, Larry. It's one thing to get one in a classic pose, but much more interesting to capture them "doing their thing". Well done.

4. nice shots - I've never actually caught any of my dragons eating anything

5. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Very nice Larry. I have never seen a dragonfly eating either. These are very good.

6. Thanks, Torben. That would be a big meal for it.

Thanks, Bob I take what I'm are offered.

Thanks, Paul. You will eventually, they are voracious eaters.

Thanks, Larry I'm sure you'll find one eating, too. Check out the damsels, I seem to see more of them eating.

Cheers,

Larry

7. These are just fantastic Larry, certainly a credit to your patience. Am I correct in assuming this not a common thing to witness? These are the first shots I have seen of them feeding. All are great, but Number 5 is special, wonder how Darwin would interpret this :smile:

8. Wow, nice captures!

9. Excellent series, Larry!

Some predators, indeed!

10. Thanks, Tom. It's not particularly uncommon to see them eating - but eating in a place where you can get a picture is a different matter:frown:

Thanks, Jeff

Thanks, Jukka. Have fun on your hunt this week

Cheers,

Larry

11. Very nice series Larry they are indeed very good predators :smile:

Ian

12. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Very nice Larry. I have seen a lot of dragons eating, but nothing as dramatic as you have here. Great shots.

14. These are just great Larry. Superb shots. I love the dinner shot, but overall my favorite is #2.

15. Thanks, Rich

Larry

16. Great shots, Larry. I have never seen one eating. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

17. Thanks, Tom

Larry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.