1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dragons!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Okay, I have never shot these before, but given all the beautiful shots I see around here, I thought I would try. I located a pretty good place, though shooting distance was limited by some fencework. These were shot with a tripod mounted D700 equipped with a 200/2VR lens with 2xTC. Remote shutter and MLU was used. I shot JPG only as I forgot to switch to raw, and that might have helped (yep, exposure comp -1, mostly only a problem on #1). I either need to get closer or (ACK) need to figure out how to use my tubes. The 200 + 2XTC worked very nicely though. These were all cropped, levels adjusted, and sharpened post resize. It was fun, I will certainly try again...:biggrin:

1. f16, 1/30

8182008dragsm1-vi.

2. f8, 1/640

8182008dragsm2-vi.

3. f16, 1/125

8182008dragsm3-vi.

4. f16, 1/160

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  2. The first two look like blue dashers. The last a Slaty Skimmer (Libellula incesta). The pictures are beautiful. I like to see subjects in their surrounding environment. Shot #3 is resting on a very interesting wilted plant. Love it.

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Nice first attempt Rich, much better than my first. The 200 w/ TC should be able to get you plenty close. Especially to the Dashers... they are fairly tolerant.

4. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi Rich,

These are very nice. I especially like 3 and 4, but they are all very good.

Just put your extension tubes on and play with them. Once you use them a bit you will be fine. If they are manual ones would will probably have fun keeping things in focus, but it is doable. I picked up a set of Kenko extension tubes recently and they do autofocus. They seem to work well, but I would not stack them like I do the Nikon manual tubes. They just don't seem as tight and strong, but so far no problems.

Thanks for sharing.

5. Hi Birgit, thanks for the kind comments. I have yet to find my comfort area with these critters to be sure!

Well, I was able to learn a few things before heading out, but quite honestly, I felt like I was shooting on mars! :rolleyes: 

How go things with you Paul?

Larry, I do have the Kenko tubes and tried them yesterday, but could not get the distance right, with the impediments I was facing. You are right that i need to try them in some more controlled (and air-conditioned!) environments prior to trying them out in the field. Thanks for your kind words.

6. Stephan54

Stephan54

May 13, 2006
    Netherlands
    Cool shots. Like the purple in the first one.

7. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    nice work Rich
    particularly # 3

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Rich:

Great first shots! Dragons and damsels are addictive!

9. Hi Rich. Great series...hard to believe these are your first. Congratulations!

10. Thanks for looking and for the kind comments Stephan.

Thanks Frank.

Hi Karen, yes, it was a lot of fun, thought damn it was HOT! I hope they stick around for a bit longer...

Thank you Harry, kind comments.... I did practice on some damsels, but they stay still compared to these dudes...

11. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Glad you had a nice day out shooting something new Rich, I particually like images 1 and 4.

Quite frankly however I wish I'd not looked at this thread, it's making my wanting for the 200/2vr even stronger than before... :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.