Drastically Different Views of the Same Glacier

We pass this glacier every time we take our boat out on Prince William Sound. And every time is dramatically different. Here are a few examples.

1) On a clear day early in the season when there's still plenty of snow.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Partially obscured. The clouds filter out the warm side of the spectrum and make the ice look really blue. Which I think is the way most people expect glaciers to look. I like this one.

3) The most recent shot and the way it looked most of the time this summer(when we could see it at all). Heavier clouds and it looks even bluer. Go figure....

4) And this one from a previous summer that I've posted before. About the opposite of no.3.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Most interesting to see how the landscape changes with the infinite combinations of different lighting situations.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Impressive series of Pictures, Dan.
The variety of light and it's impact to the ice is stunning.

Kind regards
Klaus

Excellent set. The difference between each one is striking.

Most tourists see only one set of conditions, and that defines the scene in their minds, when under somewhat different lighting and weather conditions the scene can be altogether different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most interesting to see how the landscape changes with the infinite combinations of different lighting situations.
One thing about nature photography is that you can never get the exact same image twice.
Impressive series of Pictures, Dan.
The variety of light and it's impact to the ice is stunning.
Thanks, Klaus. Glad you enjoyed them.
Wow! What a "teaching moment"! LOL! Lovely photos and lots of good information.
Thanks, Karen. Often times it is instructive going through one's own files :rolleyes:
Interesting. Nice shots, thanks for sharing these.
Thanks for commenting, Bill.
Very interesting set Dan, thanks for sharing. You are lucky to witness all of the changes there.
Thanks, Binnur. We are very fortunate to have the time, resources, and where with all to enjoy Alaska.
Excellent set. The difference between each one is striking.

Most tourists see only one set of conditions, and that defines the scene in their minds, when under somewhat different lighting and weather conditions the scene can be altogether different.
Just so. Tourists visit for a moment and think they've seen a place. There is a reason that the most unique scenes of iconic locations are made by local photographers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Such an interesting series!

The only time I've seen glaciers, they definitely appear more blue under overcast skies. I have no idea why, so I'll accept your thinking that the clouds filter the warm tones.
Thanks, Mike.
Thanks, Allan.
Thanks for sharing these, it is certainly an education in lighting/color variations. Beautiful series.
Thanks, Gordon. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom