Dressing for Summer

In my area a sure sign of winter are the flocks of American Goldfinches in their drab winter garb. A sure sign of spring is when bright yellow flashes begin to appear as the finches begin changing into their brilliant summer garb. Although we never get to see the full effect, we do manage to get a preview of what those of you in the northern climes see all summer. The winter lease is soon to expire but, before it does, here is the "scruffy" between plumages look we are now beginning to see.

D300S, 300mm f2.8 VR, 1/1000, f3.3, ISO 200

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks Al, Gary, Kingfisher, Steve, Baxter, Dallas, Fred, and Ernest for looking and commenting on this picture.

Truth be told, I am so anxious to begin seeing migrants coming through my yard that I just had to be out there taking some pictures. That's when I realized that a few of the Goldfinches were becoming quite bright indicating that they were getting ready to leave. I'm not trying to kick them out, but the sooner they leave the sooner those migrants arrive :wink: :wink:.

Nice photo. Some of the goldfinches stay around here all winter and yes they do get quite drab looking. A couple weeks back I thought I noticed them starting to brighten up a touch. All our snow was gone and we were having some nice bright warmer days. Storm comes through and leaves us a foot of wet snow followed by some real cold winter conditions. Didn't see any finches for a week or so and then when they did show themselves again they were back to the drab. Spring can come any time for them and for me.

Nice photo. Some of the goldfinches stay around here all winter and yes they do get quite drab looking. A couple weeks back I thought I noticed them starting to brighten up a touch. All our snow was gone and we were having some nice bright warmer days. Storm comes through and leaves us a foot of wet snow followed by some real cold winter conditions. Didn't see any finches for a week or so and then when they did show themselves again they were back to the drab. Spring can come any time for them and for me.

Thanks for looking. I must admit to being somewhat surprised to hear that you have some Goldfinches that winter there in Canada. I was certain that I had to be feeding ALL of them over the winter (that based on the regular seed purchases I made). :biggrin:

Can't complain, however, as I find it nice to have them visit - gives variety from the usual year-round birds here. Just wish that they would stay long enough for all of them to dress up in their fine summer plumage. Trying to find the few already changing (among the ones who have not) is always a challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice shot, love the feather - details! I'm anxiouosly watching my backyard trees for these guys w/ there sweet little calls to come... they should arrive any day now

Nice shot, love the feather - details! I'm anxiouosly watching my backyard trees for these guys w/ there sweet little calls to come... they should arrive any day now

Thanks Jeri Ann. You should have more of them already dressed in their finer summer duds when they get to you. I'm sure you already know this but, they DO like sunflower seeds. :tongue:

Love all the details and the color - great shot.

Thanks for looking and the kind words.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom