Dried out tube contents

Your toothpaste tube does not dry out because you use it often. What does dry out is your tube of bathtub sealent, tube of two part epoxy, silicone gasket maker, artist paints and other things I can not think of.

The drying occurs because the threads do not seal and air gets to the contents.
The trick is to seal the threads and the cap to tube junction. I do this by liberal use of petroleum jelly, Vaselene being one brand. Coat the threads you have previously cleaned of tube contents, with the jelly. Screw on cap, then apply a fillet of jelly around the cap / tube junction. Ideally put enough on so it expands out as the cap is tightened.

This will not make it last forever, but it will extend the life a long time.

I got the idea from a chemist friend who used to seal bottles of volatile liquids , the sort with a glass bottle and a mating ground glass tapered stopper. Your school chem labs had all kinds of them. I just expanded the idea.

All my artist paints are treated this way and I never lost anything.

In theory the inside of the cap mates with the tube top making a seal. I am sure due to manufacturing tolerances this does not happen in practice and is why tightening the cap alone does not preserve contents.

That's a good idea, Ronald. Thanks for posting.

I recently got out my bottle of "Eclipse" fluid for cleaning camera sensors, only to find it completely dry. I know I didn't use it all, so I'm guessing it just evaporated because the cap didn't produce an air-tight seal. I guess I should have tried Vaseline!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Instead of doing the threads on Eclipse, just make a fillet at the cap/bottle interface.

Wipe it off before dispensing although not fully necessary as the spout is high inside the cap.

I can not get my usual trick to work on the container which is air tight tape.

The problem with using vaseline with organic solvents is that it can be leached into the solvent causing contamination. Also as a result of this leaching process, the seal will eventually fail. In the case of Eclipse which is alcohol based, this may not be a problem. The real solution is to use laboratory Parafilm. You cut a strip of the Parafilm with scissors and wrap it around the outside of the vessel's neck. It can be stretched much like electrical tape and will or has in my case lasted for extremely long periods of time. Since the film is external to the contents, there is no contamination. In a pinch, plastic electrical tape does a pretty good job and is much less expensive.

That sounds like a good idea, will try to remember to give it a try, also I hammer my partially used paint can lids down tight and store them upside down. The trapped air causes the paint to skim on the bottom of the can.

IsamuM

Not-quite-
The problem with using vaseline with organic solvents is that it can be leached into the solvent causing contamination. Also as a result of this leaching process, the seal will eventually fail. In the case of Eclipse which is alcohol based, this may not be a problem. The real solution is to use laboratory Parafilm. You cut a strip of the Parafilm with scissors and wrap it around the outside of the vessel's neck. It can be stretched much like electrical tape and will or has in my case lasted for extremely long periods of time. Since the film is external to the contents, there is no contamination. In a pinch, plastic electrical tape does a pretty good job and is much less expensive.
I do something similar to seal bottles of scale model paint, but with Teflon plumber's tape that's used to seal pipe threads. Works wonders in extending the life of the paint and it keeps the lids from becoming sealed to the bottles.

I do something similar to seal bottles of scale model paint, but with Teflon plumber's tape that's used to seal pipe threads. Works wonders in extending the life of the paint and it keeps the lids from becoming sealed to the bottles.
Isamu - Exactly what I was about to advise, although if the tape is not made by DuPont, it should be called PFTE tape. :smile:

Works quite well, in either case.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom